Business Magazine

To Protect Your Brand Name, Trademark It

Posted on the 21 May 2015 by Marketingtango @marketingtango

To Protect Your Brand Name, Trademark It

Coming up with the right name for your product or service isn’t easy. Then that name may also need a logo to go with it, suitable for use on your website, letterhead, promotional merchandise, and signage.

If you run a restaurant, maybe you’ve even come up with creative names for some of your more unique, popular menu items.

If such names are important to your business, and they should be, take the time to properly protect them with trademarks.

According to the US Patent and Trademark office, “A trademark is a brand name. A trademark or service mark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the goods/services of one seller or provider from those of others, and to indicate the source of the goods/services.”

Writing in Entrepreneur, Peter Gasca lists a few lessons about trademarks that integrated marketers can learn from the craft beer industry.

Understand Trademark Law

You don’t have to be an expert, but all marketers and business owners should understand the basics of trademark law, as well as other aspects of intellectual property law, such as copyrights and patents. Trademarks serve as legal protection for your brand by preventing potential conflicts or confusion with other companies.

Know Your Market

In the craft beer industry, the four largest companies control a whopping 89.5 percent of the entire market. But that remaining 10.5 percent consists of thousands of smaller brewers willing to work together in resolving their differences before resorting to costly court battles.

Register Your Trademarks

You’ve invested a lot of time and expense into developing your brand name. So spend $275 more to register it and prevent future problems. Hiring a trademark attorney is always preferable, but in the meantime, do some homework on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website. You can also do a quick search on a domain registration site to see if anyone has purchased a domain for the name you want.

Collaboration vs. Litigation

Most people want to avoid the hassle and expense of lawsuits (attorneys excepted, of course).
In the case of the craft beer industry, many of the smaller regional companies have learned that collaboration is preferable to litigation. A simple phone inquiry can help to not only prevent conflict, but can also lead to strategic partnerships between friendly competitors.

A good rule of thumb? Only when there is a significant threat to your brand, and every other option has been explored and exhausted, should you resort to legal action.

If this aspect of branding is too serious or left-brained for you right now, take a little side trip to posts that emphasize branding’s fun and creative side.

You Might Also Like :

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

These articles might interest you :

  • Regulatory Failure

    Regulatory Failure

    When we think of the issues of health and safety that exist in a modern complex economy, it is impossible to imagine that these social goods will be produced... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Dlittle30
  • Is Bulk Hand-Regging Domains Worth the Time and Money Invested?

    Bulk Hand-Regging Domains Worth Time Money Invested?

    From Ali Zandi to Josh E to Rick Schwartz, it’s alway interesting and entertaining to watch industry vets do their thing — especially when the topic is hand... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Worldwide
  • Video: Spring Flooding in Yosemite National Park

    Video: Spring Flooding Yosemite National Park

    Heavy rains and rapid snow melt off have hit Yosemite National Park hard this spring. The park has had some of its more popular and iconic places closed due to... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Kungfujedi
  • The Verdi Project: Rigoletto

    Verdi Project: Rigoletto

    In which our composer creates a sensation and changes the world of opera, forever. by Paul J. Pelkonen Tito Gobbi (with Renata Scotto) looking suitably... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Superconductor
  • the Ship is Sinking

    Mishpacha Magazine (Hebrew edition) has been running an initiative recently promoting new young couples in the Haredi community take on their own mortgages... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Gldmeier
  • Flower Power: Beyond the Beauty

    If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.” – Lord Buddha. Life is a journey that is full of special moments; like... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Meet Rv
  • Dress To Impress! 5 Dresses For Your First Date

    Dress Impress! Dresses Your First Date

    Are you looking to make a great first impression on a new man when you show up for your first date with him? Are you conflicted as to how to dress, what... Read more

    The 23 April 2018 by   Meet Rv