Culture Magazine

The Last Leper Colony

By Artborghi @artborghi

Closed in 1957, the last leper colony of Europe was located in the fortress of Spinalonga. It counted up to 400 members

Entrance to the citadel from the West side

View on Plaka bay from the fortress

Saint Luca ramparts

North sea view

Through the Venetian quarters

This is the new episode of the reportage Crete:Kingdom of Candia. Click each picture to open it full size. Previous episode(s):

1. Once upon the time in the Kingdom of Candia

2. Gramvousa ochre and turquoise

3. Solo sliders

4. Go West: Falassarna shores of Crete

5. Balos lagoon, a royal beauty

6. Balos, all the colors of water

7. Visitors (or not) in the Mediterranean Sea

8. The only good nation is Imagination

9. Postcards from Chania

10. Wet rocks

11. Rethymno: the Fortezza

12. Between two words

13. A lucky underwater encounter

14. A trip to Spinalonga


Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

Magazines