Gardening Magazine

A Progress Report - Late June

By Mwillis
Among the many reasons why I write this blog is the fact that it gives me a good record of what has happened amd when - it is in effect a garden diary. Today's post has no particular theme, other than that it shows the state of play.
One of the jobs I did last weekend was re-potting the Purple Sprouting Broccoli plants. Previously they were in 3-inch pots. Now they are in 5-inch pots. This will allow them to grow without becoming cramped, and the additional compost around them will mean improved moisture-retention and less chance of becoming parched during a hot dry day.
A progress report - late June
I have 11 PSB plants at present - one accidentally got broken while I was moving them around - but it is still plenty, since I will probably only grow either 4 or 6 (still undecided).
I stopped cutting Asparagus a couple of weeks ago, but of course the plants are still putting up spears. They probably feel safe from execution now!
A progress report - late June
When the spears get to about two feet tall they begin to open out.
A progress report - late June
And then they become identifiably "ferns":
A progress report - late June
In the bed next door are the beans. A couple of the Runners have reached the tops of the canes, so I have pinched them out to promote the growth of sideshoots. The Climbing French Beans are perhaps a little less vigorous, but when it comes to deciding which will produce the first pods it will be a close race. Flowers are already forming on both.

A progress report - late June

Climbing French Bean "Cobra"


A progress report - late June

Runner Bean "Scarlet Empire"


Despite issues with compost contaminated with weedkiller, I think I'll still get at least some tomatoes:

A progress report - late June

Tomato "Banana Legs"


The "Iznik F1" cucumbers have set a few fruit, even though the plants are still very small. Once they get going they grow very rapidly.
A progress report - late June

The Pineapple Mint from the "Rocket Gardens" set has evidently settled in well. I'm glad I put it in a pot, because this one would probably take over the garden if given half a chance.
A progress report - late June
I must say, white Mint is a real novelty for me!
A progress report - late June

This is what my Rhubarb looks like just now:
A progress report - late June

Not very impressive is it? There used to be four plants there, but I think two have them have died. I have plans for this stuff. Next year I will do better!
My Parsley is also "under par" at present.
A progress report - late June

When it develops a red tinge in the leaves this is normally a sign that it is in trouble. Something has attacked its roots. I don't think it is Carrot Root Fly because I have treated this area with nematodes. I suspect ants. They nibble away at the roots and the plant collapses. And until a few days ago they were looking so good too. Grrr!
A progress report - late June

My Leeks are looking healthy enough though.
A progress report - late June

Ironically, it is the spares that are doing best! I put them in a couple of pots full of new compost, and they are loving it.
A progress report - late June

I have also (finally) managed to get some Landcress to germinate. I gave up on the old packet of seeds after two attempts, and bought a new one. This lot is from the fresh packet, but even so the germination rate is not so special. I must have put 50 seeds in that pot, and look, maybe 10 have come up.
A progress report - late June

These days my garden has lots of visual treats as well as edible ones, and I would like to put in a few photos of flowers, but I think this post is long enough already. I'll just leave you with this shot of the "Bishop of Llandaff" Dahlia.
A progress report - late June


You Might Also Like :

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

These articles might interest you :

Magazines