Today I am going to share 3 herbal recipes that are perfect for get-togethers with family and friends.....Enjoy!
Apple Cherry Crumble~This is a yummy rich, hearty dessert with just a slight hint of citrus
For the filling:
- 3-4 firm ripe apples, cored, peeled, and sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups frozen or fresh cherries
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 2 tbsp flour
- 15-20 scented geranium leaves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1 cup of your favorite granola or rolled oats
- 8 tbsp unsalted cold butter
Preheat oven to 375F. Generously butter an oven proof, two quart baking dish. Place the apples in a bowl, squeeze the lemon over them , mix well, then add the cherries. Add whole geranium leaves, brown sugar, flour, zest and toss together. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
To make the crumble:
Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the utter with a pastry cutter or knife. Add the sugar, granola or oats, and nuts; toss well. Scatter the crumble on top of the fruit and bake for 30-35 min. The dessert is done when the topping turns golden brown and the apples are fork tender.
Remove the geranium leaves and serve
Herb Mint Marinade~This herbal marinade works great with any meat you choose. Add the marinade with the meat and put in a Ziploc bag and let marinade for a couple hours or overnight, depending on which meat you choose:
- 2 tbsp lemon or orange peel, grated
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon or orange juice (lime works well too)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange, lemon or lime mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
Frosted Citrus-Scented Geranium Cookies~Having just one of these cookies is not an option when you taste these sugary, bright tasting cookies!
For the cookies:
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lime, lemon, or orange geranium petals, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime, lemon or orange juice
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cube butter
- 1 box confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp lime, lemon, or orange juice (add a little water if needed)
To make the cookies:
Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat the egg, geranium leaves, juice and vanilla into the mixture. Next, combine the dry ingredients and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, for two hours. Divide the dough in half. Roll out each half to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a two inch cookie cutter; place cookies two inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
To make the frosting:
Whip all frosting ingredients together. Frost the cookies once they are completely cool.