A new adventure tonight - I made lasagna for the first time ever! I used a super easy recipe that I've seen in a few places - including here. Basically it's just cottage cheese, mozzarella, lasagna noodles, pasta sauce, and veggies. It turned out well although it didn't really stay together with all the veggies in there - still tasted great though! My lasagna was accompanied by a spinach, pine nut, and blackberry salad with honey and fig balsamic. I usually put some cheese on my salads but I figured my cheese allotment was filled for tonight. :)
Here's the recipe:
Easy Veggie Lasagna
- 9 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 jar (~3 cups) pasta sauce (I used Muir Glen Chunky Tomato Herb)
- 16oz low fat cottage cheese
- 8oz shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- ~4 cups chopped veggies (I used yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and asparagus)
- crushed red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F
- Spray 9x13 (or 11x8 might be better if you have it, I didn't- it worked but the dish was a little big for the noodles) baking dish with canola oil
- Lay down 3 noodles
- Cover with 1/3 of pasta sauce, 1/3 of cottage cheese, 1/3 of veggies, and 1/3 of mozzarella. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper if you like things spicier.
- Repeat step 4 two more times
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr 15 min (that's how long it took me, the recipes I found said an hour though so your mileage may vary)
- That's it!