Today I had a revelation. I'd always assumed that I couldn't make jam since I didn't know how to can (and didn't have much interest in learning, at least not yet). Then I read this post and I realized, you only have to can if you make multiple jars. If you just make one jar of jam, then you just eat it like any opened jar. I'm not sure why this hadn't occurred to me but somehow it hadn't.
So today I picked up a pint of organic strawberries and a lemon and combined with sugar to (somewhat magically in my non-jam making brain), make jam!
The hardest part was waiting for it to gel on a plate out of the freezer, this took WAY longer than the recipe I was referring to said, about an hour and 15 minutes. But finally, success!
It's cooling in my fridge right now but if the scrapings from the pot are any indication its going to be a real treat.
Recipe below, adapted from this one from a thought for food:
- 1 pint / 16oz organic strawberries, cut (quartered for me)
- 1 medium lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 cup / 180g cane sugar
- On low (Lo - 1 on my burner) heat, combine sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook until sugar has dissolved, about 15 minutes.
- Add strawberries, stir, and cook (on burner setting 1) until reduced enough that the liquid will gel on a plate from the freezer. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes for me.
- Put in container/jar and enjoy!
Of course you know this means an egg and jam sandwich for dinner tonight! :) And yes, I did have Bob Marley in my head the entire hour and fifteen minutes. :)