Most people abandon their diet and weight loss plan before ever reaching their goal. Planning meals and counting calories is time consuming. By simply cutting the unnecessary calories from your daily meals, you can stay on target and still enjoy your favorite foods.
1. Check your Protein. Make sure you’re consuming enough protein to keep cravings at bay. The CDC recommends healthy adults aim for a minimum 10% of their daily calories from protein.
2. No Empty Calories. Dump empty calorie foods, such as sodas, sweets and salty snacks. They hold no nutritional value and leave you craving more. Snack on nuts, fruits, veggies and popcorn. Drink water or iced tea.
3. Good Food Fast. It’s easy to hit the drive-through at your local fast food restaurant when you’re hungry. But a salty, fat-laden meal won‘t fuel your day. Aim instead for a salad and lean sub sandwich.
4. Fiber Focused. Fiber-rich foods such as beans, apples and whole grains are easy to work into your day and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
5. Smart Salads. Healthy greens, and seasonal fruits and vegetables can become a big bowl of calories when topped with cheese, bacon and mayonnaise-based dressing. Use vinegar, or citrus juice and heart-healthy oils.
6. Slow Down. Eat slowly and experience feeling full quicker. You’ll consume far fewer calories if you simply slow down.
7. Sip Smart. If possible, limit your beverages to green tea and water only. Eliminate soda from your diet. Cut down on alcoholic beverages to cut calories and keep your resolve in check.
8. Eat In. Preparing your own meals allows you to control what goes into your food. You’ll be surprised the calories you don’t miss when you’re in charge of your meal preparation.
9. No Nighttime Snacking. Post-dinner and before bed it’s easy to eat snacks you just don’t need. Make a rule to stop eating after 7 pm and stick to it.
10. Rethink Dairy. If you drink milk, aim for skim. Replace your sour cream with fat-free greek yogurt.
11. Quench with Water. People frequently mistake thirst for hunger. Drink your eight-or-more glasses of H2O everyday and you’ll stay hydrated.
12. Nix the Condiments. That schmear of mayonnaise on your otherwise-lean sandwich can 50 extra calories. Try plain mustard instead.
About the Author
Jamie Eberle is the Chief Financial Officer of BeLiteWeight, which has helped over 6,500 patients have safe, affordable and successful weight loss surgery over the past 20 years. Jamie has had bariatric surgery and knows the ins and outs of the different procedures they run, including: vertical sleeve gastrectomy, gastric sleeve plication, Lap Band and gastric bypass surgery, among others. BeLiteWeight focuses on each patient’s needs to help them choose the right procedure and get started on the path to a healthier life.