Lifestyle Magazine

Why Just Living In Your Home Could Harm Your Health

By Lyndsay @lyndsinreallife

Is your home a source of sickness?

If so, you’re not alone. Many people worry about “sick building syndrome” – the idea that certain properties can actually make you feel ill. 

In this post, we will take a look at some of the sources of sick building syndrome and whether your property might have it. If you’re somebody who always feels better once you leave your home (or spend a night in a hotel) then this post is for you. 

You Might Have Lead Contamination

Why Just Living In Your Home Could Harm Your Health

Unsplash – CC0 License

Most countries banned indoor lead use (especially in residential accommodation) many years ago. In the US, for instance, laws came into force in 1978 banning the use of lead paint because of the fact that it poisoned nearly a million people each year. 

Unfortunately, the law didn’t remove existing lead paint from buildings, so there’s a good chance that it is still in your home. 

If you are worried about your lead levels, you can get them tested by your doctor. They will be able to tell you if they are too high. High lead levels are usually the result of excessive lead exposure in the home, rather than general pollution in the environment (unless your job involves fitting lead roofs to churches). 

Your Home Could Still Have Asbestos

Asbestos poisoning is extremely serious and, unfortunately, incurable. That’s why it is so critical to remove it professionally from your home. 

Builders used the material between the 1920s and the late 1970s. It acted as an excellent insulator and was able to keep homes warm. Unfortunately, it also increases people’s risk of a specific type of lung cancer which is latent for many years before eventually producing symptoms. 

If your home has asbestos, you’ll want to remove it as quickly as you can. Only trained and licensed contractors should remove it. 

You Could Have A Pest Problem

Why Just Living In Your Home Could Harm Your Health

Unsplash – CC0 License

Pests aren’t just annoying and unsightly: they’re also a health hazard. For instance, did you know that mice carry the deadly bacteria, E.coli

If you think that you have a pest issue, you’ll need to use professionals to eliminate the problem. They will both remove the offending pests and ensure that they can’t get back into your home. They can also tell you whether you have a pest problem at all. Terminix pest control and inspections, for instance, scour the home looking for the telltale signs of pest invasion. If they find evidence, then pests might be the reason your home is harming your health. 

You’re Located Close To A Source Of Radon

Why Just Living In Your Home Could Harm Your Health

Unsplash – CC0 License

Most of the Earth’s crust is radioactive. Breakdown of radon in the ground releases high energy particles that can cause lung cancer. 

To see if you have radon in your home, you can order a radon test. These measure the level of radioactivity in your basement and ground floor. They can tell you whether you are in a high radon zone or more, improving your sense of wellbeing.

Unfortunately, you can’t get rid of radon. You may, therefore, have to move. Hopefully though, this isn’t the case!

Thank you for reading!

Why Just Living In Your Home Could Harm Your Health

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog