Family Magazine

Kids and Taxes

By Newsanchormom

Kids and Taxes
I talked to my CPA today and I have got to do a better job of keeping track of my deductions. It is so much harder to call and get all this information at the end of the year and I am sure I am missing something.
Here's something interesting I found tonight. I am no tax person and this is not advice, but to me, this says when I hire a babysitter under 18 years old to watch my kids for the many charity events we attend, I can deduct that babysitting cost and the sitter doesn't have to claim the money. Can this be true? I hope so! That would help me out a lot. Read this and see what you think.
FROM EHOW: The IRS classifies baby sitters under age 18 as employees and does not require them to pay self-employment tax. If you work for only one household and your employer tells you when and how to do your job, you are most likely considered an employee and do not need to pay the self-employment tax. However, baby sitters with multiple employers who decide when they want to work or provide their own supplies are usually considered self-employed.
FROM U.S.NEWS Childcare expenses when volunteering. If you paid a babysitter to watch the kids while you volunteered for your church or other non-profit organization, you can deduct that expense on your taxes.
-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog