Debate Magazine

Judge Denies Request for Zimmerman Acquittal

Posted on the 06 July 2013 by Mikeb302000
Defense attorneys Mark O'Mara, left, Don West, center, stand with George Zimmerman during Zimmerman's trial in Seminole circuit court, in Sanford, Fla., Wednesday, July 3, 2013. Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the 2012 fatal shooting of slain teen Trayvon Martin. (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Jacob Langston, Pool)
Yahoo News
A Florida judge has denied a request from George Zimmerman's defense attorney to acquit the neighborhood watch volunteer of second-degree murder for fatally shooting Trayvon Martin.
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara argued for acquittal Friday after prosecutors rested their case.
O'Mara said prosecutors hadn't proved their case. He said there was enormous evidence presented over the past two weeks that Zimmerman had acted in self-defense.
Prosecutor Richard Mantei argued the state had met its burden and that Zimmerman had lied about what happened.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for fatally shooting 17-year-old Martin last year. He pleaded not guilty, claiming self-defense.

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog