Family Magazine

Attention Seeking

By Umkhaloodie
English: Attention

English: Attention (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

First let’s look at a definition:

Enjoying the attention of others is quite socially acceptable. In some instances, however, the need for attention can lead to difficulties. The term attention seeking (or attention-seeking) is generally reserved for such situations, where excessive and “inappropriate attention seeking” is seen.

Know anyone like that?

I do.

Well, I know a few actually but right now I’m going to talk about one in particular. He is cute, naughty and my absolute world, yes, that’s right, I’m talking about Oodie.

He drives me up the wall 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time he is trying to. LOL. Where does attention seeking come from?

Statistics show that attention seeking often happens in the middle child. They feel left out, being brought up as the ‘middle’ one can often be troubling for some and in an attempt to be ‘noticed’ they will cry out in any way possible, i.e attention seeking. For some, this continues even into their adulthood, they will cause trouble at work and with friends and family just to be the ‘centre of attention’. Oodie isn’t the middle child but he is no longer ‘my baby’. We had a new addition………..

Oodie started to ‘play up’ shortly after Alooi was born, he wasn’t MY centre of attention anymore and therefore he had to try to be. Anything from colouring on walls to slapping Alooi on the head with the nearest object was often done but we have learned to control it.

There are things that I have learned; shouting, spanking and or yelling does not work infact, it just adds fuel to the fire, and no-one wants to add fuel to a fire that is already piping hot. So, we back down, we give support and we try to be understanding of the difficulties.

When Oodie has a tanrum, I continue what I’m doing and I WALK AWAY. Yes, I walk away. He has never ‘yet’ had a tantrum outside the house and it pretty reluctant to do it infront of neighbours and or family/friends. It’s always in front of me and only me, never his father.

We have a ‘time-out’ step but we rarely have to use it, Oodie knows now that when I walk away, ‘mummy is upset’. He more often than not comes and apologises.

Patience is a virtue they say, I think when it comes to attention seeking this is what we have to do. Walk Away. That’s what I always do and always will do.


Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog