Chicago soul funk band The Right Now are releasing a new 7"vinyl single for Record Store Day. "If I Wanted To" c/w "I Am Who I Say I Am" was produced by Steve Shirk. They have added a bit of blues to the mix and the bass is turned up a notch.
For If I Wanted Too lead singer Stefanie Berecz goes for the Wall of Sound approach, with plenty of reverb and slight distortion, sounding like she coming out of the speakers of an old transistor radio, a gimmick that is repeated with a woozy cymbal sound laid down by drummer John Smillie and a dry sound for guitarist Brendan O'Connell and Chris Corsale. I Am Who I Say I Am is more "old school" The Right Now, funky with an upfront brass section.
Nothing was close miked during the sessions, a smart move that allows the sound of the band to open up to ensure live feel captured on vinyl.
"If I Wanted To" c/w "I Am Who I Say I Am" is a self-released single. Buy it from the band's website. Release date: April 16.
Get a free download of If I Wanted Too:Live dates:
- 04/08 Marly's - Springfield, IL
- 04/14 Mad Planet - Milwaukee, WI
- 04/15 Blue Moose Tap House - Iowa City, IA
- 04/16 Martyrs' - Chicago, IL
- 04/30 Redstone Room - Davenport, IA
- 05/07 The Strutt - Kalamazoo, MI
- 05/08 Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, OH
- 06/03 Bar None - Springfield, IL