Misc. Stuff Etc.
In this post, I offer up an assortment of links to articles, mostly by me, and other related material, so that I can put checkmarks after a few items on the official Addiction Inbox to-do list, here on the official Addiction Inbox plexiglass clipboard. So let’s see….
* Here’s an article I wrote awhile ago for Brain Blogger, called "Why Do Schizophrenics Smoke Cigarettes?" The comments alone are worth a look. Spoiler: Schizophrenics smoke cigarettes because nicotine helps quell both audio and visual hallucinations.
* One of the very early posts here at Addiction Inbox, called Marijuana Withdrawal, transformed itself into a self-help support board over time, with lengthy and enlightening comments appended to a short original post about the symptoms of marijuana dependency. The post has accumulated more than 1,000 comments at this writing, and is still going strong. Have a look HERE.
* The title of the Dutch study, published in the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism, is unambiguous: “Alcohol Portrayal on Television Affects Actual Drinking Behaviour.” But the dirt, as always, is in the details. My article at Adi Jaffe’s All About Addiction site.
* This feature of mine about synthetic marijuana products like “Spice” ran last month at The Fix, where I am now serving as senior contributing editor.
* I contributed a comment or two to this follow-up piece on synthetic cannabis that ran in the New York Daily News.
* Also at The Fix, that irritating fraud James Frey gets his ass totally kicked by Time Healthland’s Maia Szalavitz, who demands that he apologize to addicts for all the harm he has done their cause in this article. Great stuff.
* Here’s a hard-hitting excerpt from James Brown’s phenomenal addiction memoir, This River, which redeems the entire genre from the likes of James Frey. Read the harrowing “Instructions on the Use of Heroin.”
* Science of Blogging is a great site that regularly features interviews with, you guessed it, science bloggers. Travis Saunders was kind enough to do a Question and Answer session with me recently.
And here are a dozen recent blog posts by yours truly over at the The Fix:
Deaths Linked to Botched Batch of Designer Mescaline 2C-E, a research hallucinogenic best left to the professionals, may have killed two people in Oklahoma.
GOP Goes Gaga for Drug TestingAlmost 30 states now intend to test welfare recipients for drug use.
Top 10 (or 20) Recovery Songs From the Hold Steady to the Rolling Stones to Nine Inch Nails: best all-time recovery songs.
Saving OD Victims May be Illegal in Your State Lawmakers argue over how to do the right thing for people who do the wrong thing.
Mexico's Massacred KidsAs bodies pile up in Mexico's drug war, murdered children account for over 1,000 deaths.
Google Faces Fines for Pill Mill AdsThe internet giant may pony up some serious dough for promoting prescription-pill abuse.
Former Assistant Drug Czar Slams the Medical EstablishmentProvocative Penn psychologist wonders what would happen if our health care system treated diabetics like it treats most addicts. Nothing good.
Drug Criminals See Cigarettes as the New Black MarketCigarette trafficking is now so lucrative that organized drug and gun smuggling operations want in on the action.
Do Alcoholic Students Score Better on Tests if They Stay Drunk?How does alcohol affect memory? New research suggests that students perform much better on tests when their "memory states" match.
A Toast to the Black Monk of Thamkrabok For over 30 years, a charismatic Vietnam vet and mercenary named Gordon Baltimore helped hardcore addicts recover with a controversial regimen at a Thai monastery. A former heroin addict, he died last week at the age of 60
Charity Pays Thousands of Addicts to Get SterilizedAn American "charity" is paying thousands of U.S. drug addicts not to have children. Buoyed by its success, the group has moved on to Britain. Now Denmark may be taking up the trend.
Vancouver’s Supervised Shooting Up Site: 2,000 ODs, 0 DeathsAn officially-sanctioned injection site for heroin and cocaine addicts in Vancouver prompts a dramatic fall in death rates. So why is the Canadian government so dead-set against it?
Thank you and good night.
Photo Credit: http://www.thinkstockphotos.com/
These articles might interest you :
A month ago, I was sent a Wonder Crew doll for review. Wonder Crew is a line of 15″ dolls that come in a variety of skin tones, including Caucasian (Will)... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Ashley Brooke, Kewpie83
CULTURE, FAMILY, SELF EXPRESSION
Meandering Landscape with River by Piet Mondrian Q: I have two circulation problems. The first is varicose veins. I also have circulation problems in my around... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Ninazolotow
FITNESS, HEALTH, HEALTHY LIVING
Could eating fat and skipping meals every now and then be the recipe for success? The answer is a clear yes if you ask Julia: The Email On 30 October 2016 I wa... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Dietdoctor
DIET & WEIGHT, HEALTH, HEALTHY LIVING, MEDICINE
Meal plansGet lots of weekly low-carb meal plans, complete with shopping lists and everything, with our premium meal planner tool (free trial).... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Dietdoctor
DIET & WEIGHT, HEALTH, HEALTHY LIVING, MEDICINE
The new gTLD .Realty which went into general availability on April 24th has 53,705 registered domain names. On the face, it seems like .Realty is off to a... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Worldwide
MGMT – GOGOL BORDELLO – MONSTER TRUCK – MOTHER MOTHER – K.FLAY – SLOAN – USS + 46 more acts to perform The post Monster Lineup Announced for 2017 Riverfest... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Hendrik Pape
ENTERTAINMENT, MEDIA, MUSIC
The Sri Chinmoy Ten and Six Day races drew to a close yesterday at 12 noon local time in Flushing Meadow Park in New York. From the first day in the Ten Day Rac... Read moreThe 28 April 2017 by Abichal
OTHER SPORTS, OUTDOORS
MOST POPULAR FROM HEALTH
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce by Chuck Underwood
- Friday Q&A: Varicose Veins and Other Circulation Problems by Ninazolotow
- “The Old Me Would Not Have Believed That the New Me Could Be like This” by Dietdoctor
- Skillet Eggs and Greens by Dietdoctor
MOST RECOMMENDED IN HEALTH
- Experts: Popular Belief That Saturated Fats Clog Up Arteries “Plain Wrong” by Dietdoctor
- The Low-Carb Doctor Who Couldn’t Be Silenced by Dietdoctor
- Professor Lustig: “Insulin Drives All of the Behaviors Seen in Obesity” by Dietdoctor
- Top Heart Professor Advises Millions to Stop Taking Statins by Dietdoctor