8 Assorted FactsBy Prodenbough
3) I chose to take "Interrupted Service" and flew out from Accra on January 3rd.4) Volunteers in Guinea were cleared to be placed at their proper sites on January 4th, the very same day that I arrived in Seattle.5) "Interrupted Service" is a special option that volunteers may choose to take when there is not a viable assignment for them in-country. It is like an "Early Termination" (quitting) except that the fault does not lie with the volunteer, and the volunteer is eligible to return and finish his or her service once a viable assignment becomes available.
6) I specifically asked my Country Director if there was a minimum amount of time I would be required to return for, should the program fully re-open. She said no. Upon my arrival to the US, she recommended to HQ my immediate return to Guinea with my original COS (close-of-service) date of July 2011.7) Peace Corps HQ has denied my request to be re-instated with my original COS date of July 2011, contrary to the recommendations of the program in Guinea.8) I wrote the following letter to HQ today.
Thank you for arranging a conversation between myself and [the HQ regional director]. I enjoyed the opportunity to speak with him. I would like to re-iterate, however, that I am extremely unhappy with the decision being made by the regional office to deny my re-instatement with my original COS date. When I discussed taking "Interrupted Service" with my country director in December, I was never given any indication that the re-instatement process would require extending my original COS date. In fact, I specifically asked if I would be required to re-instate for at least a year, and was told that there is no such rule. [My country director] knew that I fully intended to return to Guinea, and also that I fully intended on attending graduate school in the fall. And I thank her for recommending a COS date in July 2011, as we agreed. But with the decision now being made by the regional office, I feel like I have been misled. I feel like a third-party is now unexpectedly intervening and changing the rules in the middle of the game, with severe negative consequences for my personal life planning. If I had any idea that this situation would arise, I never would have taken "Interrupted Service." And although I realize that a case like mine is rare, I would like to see the Peace Corps take steps to ensure a situation like mine does not arise in the future, as it is a misfortune no volunteer deserves.
I would implore you, [HQ], to share this email with [the HQ regional director] so that he may make one last consideration. But in the case that a COS date extension is absolutely required, I will do some personal reflection and let you know if I can accept a COS date in July 2012.Cheers,Phil
These articles might interest you :
May 1, 2011. NYT reports that three of MG's grandchildren were killed. Cannot believe that Ghadaffi's grandchildren were killed. I am really sad about that. Read moreBy Warigia
CURRENT, DEBATE, POLITICS
Frightening how many people will lie, and the lengths they will go to in order to twist facts and alter conclusions, but nothing lives longer than the truth. Read moreBy Lawanda
CHARITY, DEBATE, SOCIETY
The following facts come from the Environmental Protection Agency.In 2009, Americans generated approximately 243 million tons of waste, which was dumped (54.3... Read moreBy 2ndgreenrevolution
YouTube is huge. More video content is uploaded to YouTube in a 60 day period than the three major U.S. television networks created in 60 years. The average... Read moreBy Gerard
HUMOR, RANDOM, SOCIAL MEDIA, TECH
In the fall of 2009 I saw No Impact Man in the theater (read the review here). Later that year my sister gave my wife and me a copy of the book. Read moreBy 2ndgreenrevolution
The careful selection of a catchy, memorable design - and the care and foresight with which it evolves over the years - is important for every kind of company. Read moreBy Gerard
Last January, at the beginning of our current streak of continuous days with a post, I reviewed Food, Inc. As part of the movement that has sprung from the film... Read moreBy 2ndgreenrevolution
MOST POPULAR FROM CURRENT
- Top 13 scariest slots that you can’t miss this Halloween by Infographixdirectory
- On the cult of Jeremy Corbyn and the Blairite fake news explosion by Neilmonnery
MOST RECOMMENDED IN CURRENT
- Francis Fukuyama: Ukraine Should Rebuild the State Management System and Eliminate Corruption by Center For International Private Enterprise
- Democracy that Delivers Podcast #56: Aurelio Concheso on the Challenge Facing Liberal Democracy in Latin America by Center For International Private Enterprise
- An Open Letter to the New Treasury Secretary by Rvbadalam