Most of the time, when preparing your home for sale, you end up cleaning out a lot of "stuff" and wondering what to do with it.
The Charities Review Council in St. Paul is a great resource if you're looking for reputable charities to donate your possessions.
WHO THEY ARE: The Charities Review Council is an independent resource for people who make contributions to support charities. They are dedicated to empowering you in making informed and thoughtful giving decisions, so that you can be more effective in helping charities advance their important community work. No other state has a similar independent resource for donors.
WHAT THEY DO: Provides tools and resources to the giving public to make informed giving choices:
- Online searchable charity review results
- Tips on how to give smart and safe
- Information on donating auto and goods
- Nonprofit accountability standards and resources
- Reviews charities through its Accountability Wizard. Results of these reviews help the public determine the trustworthiness of a charity before giving. Review results are posted in their online list of reviewed charities. Serves as educator to charities by providing tools and resources to organizations to meet and maintain the Council’s Accountability Standards.
Here's my favorite link on their site: you can search the type of items you want to donate (i.e. furniture, clothing etc) and find all the charities that take those possessions: http://www.smartgivers.org/donatinggoodssearch.html You can also locate charities that pick up items too.
Hope this helps!
Jeri Pischke, Tender Heart Transitions - Email - Website