EAT ME. please.
I have a very real first world problem. I think this is even worse than when my air conditioner went onto turbo and made my apartment so cold I had to put on a jumper, during a heat wave. At the moment, get this, I have too many baked goods and not enough friends to eat them because I’m temporarily living abroad. I know!
In Melbourne it was easy, bake stuff, stuff disappeared. Bake stuff, stuff disappeared. People came over for wine, after two bottles of sem sauv they left merrily with a doggie bag of biscuits for work the next day. Sometimes I’d give stuff to the neighbours. Or, I’d mail them to Perth in lieu of buying people real gifts. Er, I mean, out of love.
Believe me, I’m doing my best. I eat a lot and love to eat. But I also like variety and cook to wind down. I need some hungry friends. The girls at work are happily taking some, but they’re skinny I tells you, skinny, and not eating enough.
This AWESOME muffin recipe is pinched from Sue, who lived next door to us when I was a kid. After school I’d go over and tell her about my day at primary school and play with her toddler. She’d often have these muffins fresh out of the oven. And I bet she was grateful I ate them. After all, food is best shared.
And yea, they taste just like jaffa lollies.
2 oranges: grate the rind from one orange, then squeeze them to make 1/2 cup of orange juice
125 grams butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups plain flour
90 grams dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 190 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
- Grate orange rind and squeeze the juice or the orange to make your 1/2 cup. Mix together butter, eggs, sugar, orange rind and orange juice.
- Add baking powder and baking soda, mix with a fork to get all the lumps out, you’ll see the rising agents working.
- Fold in flour and chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and they bounce back to touch. Makes 12
Healthy? Until more of my baked goods disappear everything is calorie-free. Yes, I have the power. (update: they got eaten. 276 calories a muffin.)
Gluten free: No, and I’ve tried adapting it. No luck, they’re just not right.
Storage:They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in airtight container.
Little aerodynamic movie missiles aka jaffas.