The last heart-stopping moments of perhaps the most lavish original Filipino musical ever staged. The clips are made available online by special arrangement with Franco Laurel and Ayen Munji-Laurel of ML Entertainment, owners of the copyright to the musical. No DVD copy of the musical, whether bootleg or original, is available commercially, so--thank you, Franco and Ayen, for this wonderful gift to Pinoy musical theater fans.
From my original entry on these musical excerpts: For those who caught the production at the UP Theater, here's a chance to relive its magic. For those who missed it, now's the time to watch, from dazzling opening number to exhilarating finale, the most-talked-about theater event of that long-ago season.
This video captures the closing performance of the musical on the evening of March 6, 1999, with Ariel Rivera as Rama, Chiqui Pineda as Sita, John Arcilla as Rama's brother Lakshmana, Robert Sena as the villain Ravana, Jaya as Ravana's sister Soorphanaka, Mr. Laurel as Rama's youngest brother Bharata, and Edward Granadosin as Rama's teacher Vishmavitra.
11. Ginoong Ermitanyo/Type Kita, Rama/Tingnan mo ang Aking Byuti--Robert Sena, Chiqui Pineda, Jaya, Ariel Rivera, John Arcilla. Ravana, dressed as a hermit, attempts to seduce Sita (Ginoong Ermitanyo), while Soorphanaka is all over Rama and Lakshmana (Type Kita, Rama). But the brothers see through her designs, and when she tries to hurt Sita, Lakshmana maims her, sending her back screaming to her underground lair, demanding that Ravana take revenge on the brothers (Tingnan Mo Ang Aking Byuti).
12. Kaya N'yo Bang Tumagal--Chiqui Pineda. Ravana succeeds in snatching Sita and spiriting her away to Lanka. To rescue her, Rama asks help from the monkey army of Kiskinda. Sita, meanwhile, refuses Ravana's advances, but in an optical illusion, Rama's monkey spies see a Sita look-alike cavorting with Ravana. The hasty report crushes Rama.
13. Magbalik Ka Na, Mahal/Tagistis ng Ulan--Chiqui Pineda, Ariel Rivera. Rama and Sita's mirror laments, one waiting to be freed from captivity, the other missing his bride but ruing the frailty of love.
Just to complete your Rama at Sita experience, here is (alternate Sita) Lani Misalucha's version of Magbalik Ka Na, Mahal, from the original cast album:
14. Finale: Sadyang Pinagtagpo/Huwag Takasan (reprise)--Ariel Rivera, Chiqui Pineda, Chorus. In the great war that follows, Rama's forces defeat Ravana. But believing that his wife is now impure, Rama refuses to take Sita back. Sita, heartbroken, decides to end her life by being burned on a pyre. The gods intervene just in time to commend Rama and Sita for their fealty to dharma (duty), no matter how difficult. Rama and Sita reunite to reclaim their love and the throne of Ayodhaya.
15. Bonus: Curtain call--Watch the star-studded closing-night crowd erupt in thunderous cheers as the performers and creative crew take their bows. If you feel like joining them in applauding the remarkable all-Filipino production you've just seen, by all means, go ahead! Bravo, indeed!
These articles might interest you :
Our first look at how Karylle and Christian Bautista will sing the songs and incarnate the roles made famous in the original run by Kuh Ledesma and Basil Valdez. Read moreBy Gibbs22manila
CULTURE, THEATRE & OPERA
There's Christian Bautista playing Rama (alternating with OJ Mariano), and then there's the alternate to Robert Sena as Ravana, Christian Rey Marbella, about... Read moreBy Gibbs22manila
There’s a phenomenon I call faux-nostalgia. By this, I don’t mean affectation or artists trying too hard to capture the spirit of a time or place. I mean the... Read moreBy Thewildhoneypie
Each week, we designate the newest releases that are worth your attention. This edition features fearless females sharpening the talents of their own signature... Read moreBy Thewildhoneypie
Although it is way too late in the year for lent and we are a couple of months past Ramadan, this week the husband, the baby and myself have all been giving up... Read moreBy Mallorcamum
DIARIES, SELF EXPRESSION
This Motley Monday is kind of a precursor to my next post (actually the first of a series of three related posts) so I hope you watch the following video and... Read moreBy Wheatish
A friend sent me the link to an Indo-Japanese traditional animation film from 1992, based on the ancient Sanskrit epic The Ramayana. Read moreBy Luphil
BODY, MIND, SPIRIT, SPIRITUALITY
MOST POPULAR FROM CULTURE
- Concert Review: When Time is Illusion by Superconductor
- Book Review of Finding Juliet by Levyingkishan
- Kate Copstick in Kenya – an autopsy, corruption, de-worming and digging by Thejohnfleming
- Weekly Wrap Up (February 26) by Cleopatralovesbooks
MOST RECOMMENDED IN CULTURE
- Sofa Spotlight – Spring 2017 by Isabel Costello
- WUTHERING HEIGHTS 2017 - BECOMING CATHERINE EARNSHAW: INTERVIEW WITH SHAO'RI MORRIS by Mariagrazia
- #100AfricanWomenWriters: 2. Miriam Tlali by Bookshy
- Always be Amazing by Flemmingbo