With so many clothes in our closets, sometimes it is hard to decide what is appropriate to wear to work. It is important to have some ground rules on the differences between work clothes and weekend clothes. Of course all workplaces are different but no matter where you work, there are a few things you should know about dressing professional for work. Why is this so important? Because you want to make sure that you get attention for what you bring to the table, not what you wear to the table.
- Dress like the person you want to be: If your boss wears a suit and you want to be the boss someday, wear a suit.
- Over dress rather than under dress: Stand out for being the best dressed, rather than for not wearing appropriate attire. Err on the side of too professional, rather than too exposed.
- Do your research: Before your first day, do your research to find out what everyone else will be wearing so that you can fit in.
- Be comfortable: If you know you look great, you will be much more confident at work. You won’t be at your best if you are distracted by how your clothing fits.
- Get the staples: You must have the essentials to mix and match: the black dress, the black blazer, the white button-down shirt, trouser pants, knee length skirts, black bumps, cardigan sweaters and of course a fabulous black work tote. These wardrobe essentials will make getting ready in the morning a cinch!
Photo by marie claire