Making green choices to positively impact the environment is more important than ever. Here are five easy things you can do...
1. Plant a tree - a shade tree can reduce cooling costs by up to 30% and trees also store carbon, which helps reduce the effects of global warming
2. Go car-free one day a week - reorganize your schedule so you can park your car one day a week and use transit, walk, ride bike or car pool... not only will it reduce your carbon dioxide emissions, you will also get more exercise and may even relieve some stress
3. Do an energy audit - identify places where your home uses energy inefficiently... participate in a Community Energy Services workshop, contact your gas and electric providers for an audit, or hire a certified energy auditor... then start setting aside funds to make the suggested changes
4. Become a locavore - buying your weekly produce from local providers and farmers markets can be beneficial to both your health and the local economy
5. Reduce your use of chemicals - look for products that are environmentally sensitive, make your own cleaning products, or clean chemical free
Sharlene Hensrud, RE/MAX Results - Email- Twin Cities Green Realtor