Peak Freaks team leader Tim Rippel lays out the plans on the South Side. He reports that his climbers moved up to Camp 2 yesterday and the are likely still there today. The winds remain high but are expected to dissipate in the next few days. If the forecasts hold true, rope fixing to the summit will likely be complete by Thursday, which could pave the way for the first teams to go up as early as Friday. Tim says that the weather reports seem to currently indicate that this will be a wide window, which means there will be plenty of time for all the teams to get their turn on top. He also reported that the trip through the Icefall yesterday was safe and secure, with few problems. That's good news for those about to follow behind.
Eric Simonson with IMG is reporting nearly the exact same thing. Their squad is taking a rest day in Camp 2 today as well and the Sherpas responsible for opening the route are there prepping for the final steps. The winds should die down tomorrow and the first summits of the season should take place on Thursday when the fixing team reaches the summit. Everyone seems to be in good spirits and are simply waiting for their chance.
Similarly, the Altitude Junkies are reporting in from the North Side and say that their team has all moved to Advanced Base Camp. The report that the fixing teams on that side of the mountain are expecting to top out around the 17th as well, and that the first commercial squads will be hitting the summit by the end of the week too. After spending the day in ABC today, they'll likely head up to North Col tomorrow and be in position by Friday.
On the West Ridge, things are bit more unsettled. You may recall that there are two teams attempting that route this year, one from Nat Geo and Northface and the other sponsored by Eddie Bauer. Both of those squads are weighing their options at the moment and evaluating the route, which doesn't appear to be in the best of conditions. Hopefully they'll still take a crack at it, but it is possible that no one will go up the West Ridge this season.
Finally, Alan Arnette, who continues to have the best coverage of Everest this season bar none, is reporting that a Chilean team on the South Side is moving to climb the mountain before the ropes are fixed to the summit. As you can imagine, that is a dangerous proposition but apparently the team feels that this is a very short weather window and that it may be the only one of the season, so they're willing to take the risk. Lets hope that they don't climb if conditions are not right and that they keep everything in perspective.
Good luck to everyone heading up the mountain on either side. The next few days are going to be very interesting to say the least.
These articles might interest you :
It has been a tumultuous and interesting few days in the Himalaya to say the least. The decision for Himex to pull out of Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse has had... Read moreThe 08 May 2012 by Kungfujedi
Last year I wrote a satirical piece for Gadling about a man who wanted to ride his mountain bike up Everest. That was an April Fools day post that managed to... Read moreThe 10 May 2012 by Kungfujedi
We already know that some climbers will go to great extremes to climb Everest, but it appears that others will simply say they went and use Photoshop to fill... Read moreThe 27 June 2012 by Kungfujedi
CURRENT, OUTDOORS, TREK
Over the past six weeks or so, we've been following the fall Himalayan climbing season quite closely, watching as various teams attempt to summit Makalu,... Read moreThe 05 October 2012 by Kungfujedi
As I mentioned in my earlier post, it was another busy weekend on the world's tallest mountain. By some accounts, there could have been upwards in the... Read moreThe 23 May 2011 by Kungfujedi
The drama unfolding on K2 continues today with the news that the international team on the North Side of the mountain has now split into two units, with four... Read moreThe 18 August 2011 by Kungfujedi
For the past few days you've heard me mention that the teams on Everest are gearing up for the summit push. I've even said that Friday or Saturday would likely... Read moreThe 16 May 2012 by Kungfujedi
MOST POPULAR FROM OUTDOORS
- It’s Time to Stop Bitching about Airfares by Everywhereonce
- Day 48: The Roadwalk Out by Erin "wired" Saver
- Day 49: The Ride Out by Erin "wired" Saver
North Korea Lance Armstrong The Box Office Lady Gaga Russia Economy Kony Michelle Rodriguez Karen Bill Rick Perry European Union China Mardi Gras True Blood The Olympics Halloween Apple Climate Change Apps Father's Day Harry Potter X-Factor Christmas Turkey Kathy Long Libyan Conflict Academy Awards Egypt Nuclear Energy Samsung
MOST RECOMMENDED IN OUTDOORS
- What Kind of Winter Are We Going to Have? by Kimkircher
- Day 49: The Ride Out by Erin "wired" Saver
- Day 47: Kakwa Lake Baby! by Erin "wired" Saver
- Day 40: Robson Ramble & Resupply by Erin "wired" Saver
ON THE OUTDOORS FORUM
- More Gear Coverage From The 2013 ... Reviewed by Cartier Juste Un Clou Ring