I'm going to declare it outright: I am officially in love with Seattle. More specifically Ballard and its near-by districts. As is my way, I'll often explore a neighborhood by shopping its shops. They are often a good indication of the character and flavor of a place. So here are a few of my faves so far:
Lemon Drop Boutique: This Ballard boutique on 24th is just about the cutest little shop that you'll ever lay eyes upon. Darkly lit and expertly merchandised, the vintage found here is top-shelf, and there's loads of fun tschokies to ooh and ahh over. Funky accessories mingle with vintage (and vintage inspired) tops, lingerie and dresses, with a dressing room so adorable, you'll need hours to play dress up here. I wrote about this sweet boutique in my Ballard shopping guide posted over at The Big Mac Blog, which you can read (again) by clicking HERE.
The Sneakery: This fantastic shoe shop carries, you guessed it: sneakers. But awesome stylish, cool as school, hipster sneakers. And walking shoes. And shoes for biking. And socks. Set in a charming shop/cafe corridor on 65th Avenue between Phinney Ridge and Ballard, the Sneakery puts you smack dab in the middle of some of the most helpful + friendly customer service around. BONUS: great deals on the clearance shelves. See those saucy chile red Saucony sneaks in the photo collage above? Yup, they were on sale for $38 bucks, they're now mine, and I love 'em.
The Frock Shop: After hearing major buzz about this dress shop, I had to stop in and check out this Phinney Avenue boutique. This is where you can find the local label that specializes in recycled vintage fabrics, Glam Spoon. Glam Spoon is the love child of Seattle designer/blogger Tina Weatherspoon, and Glam Spoon's latest design, the Saturday Market dress is all of the above: super cute and comfy and kimono inspired! How cool is that? (Answer: as cool as a summer day in Seattle. Which makes it pretty effin' cool.) Also cool is the incredible volume of must-haves hanging on hangers in this beautifully lit retail space. Indie darlings, Knitted Dove can be found here, as well as a handful of up + coming local designers.
Do you have a favorite shop? Let me know in the comments.
And on another note, it was good to see IFB choose my interview with Ari Seth Cohen of Advanced Style to include in this week's Links Ala Mode.
Enjoy the bonus of this week's Links Ala Mode with the header image including gorgeous +50 blogger Judith, The Style Crone:
Summer starts here!
Edited by: Emily of Sugar & Spice
My first week editing Links a la Mode and so many amazing posts to choose only 20 from! Today marks the first day of summer for the northern hemisphere and judging by my choice below, I am willing summer to start in earnest in the UK! In the meantime, there’s tips on keeping stylish in the rain. One of the things I love about the fashion blogging community is the creativeness that it breeds and this week is no exception with a few brilliant and on-trend DIYs for you to try at home. If DIY-ing isn’t your thing but you still like to save your pennies there are posts for splurging or saving too.
LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP: JUNE 21ST
- Capital Fashion: The fashionista’s bucket list
- Citizen Rosebud: 5 Quick Questions for Ari Seth Cohen
- Fashion Pastiche: how to wear hot pink this summer
- Fashion, Trends and More: how to dress stylishly on a dime
- Fashionopolis: dressing stylishly in the rain
- Kaaty McDonald: DIY your own skull and spike statement necklace
- Law Moda: Ikat: a history of this summer’s print
- Lazy cat style: collages for this summer’s trends
- Life.style.flash: working forgotten pieces into your outfits
- Lifestyles of the Thrifty and Shameless: on why the only way to make a statement this season is via a statement necklace
- Lovelee: Summer’s nail palette
- Mia Moore: Asymmetric skirt DIY
- My Vintage Curves: summer of love
- Oranges and Apples: on whether or not we’re out-growing blogging
- Pink Chai Style: Top tips for picking your prefect red lipstick
- She like ruffles, he like ruffles: splurge or save on this season’s most wanted maxi dress
- The Chic Street: some accessory inspiration for brightening your day
- The Closet Coach: When to save and when to splurge on your wardrobe
- The Simply Luxurious Life: Style Commandments to live by
- WWelcome to my Closet: on saying goodbye to an old favourite
New Bags Shopbop: Ferragamo, Gucci, YSL, Totes, Addition, Chloe, M. Williamson, Valenentino Bags, Rachel Comey, Tucker, Hindmarch & Margiela Bags