Some of you areprobably wrinkling your nose in disgust at the title.
Brownies with cheddar cheese? Really?
If you have noticed, i really like salt in my dessert. They are like my personal fairy dusts, powerful and magical, and at the rate i am sprinkling them, you can call me a seasoned salt sprinkler.
By using cheddar cheese, i was expecting to introduce the same kind of savoury depth into these brownies.
You might need to use your super sight powers to spot the slice of cheese in here. But it’s there, almost at the bottom of the brownies.
Okay, a word of warning, the next picture might gross you out as i had to practically mince the brownies to reveal the cheese.
Whoops, sorry for the carnage.
While putting cheddar into your dessert may sound foreign, it’s very common here in Indonesia. We sprinkle grated cheese on our cakes,and cookies all the time. And the fact is, the combination works, for me at least, or maybe it’s an acquired taste, since i grew up with it.
But do give this a shot! who knows you might like it too!
Almond Brownies with Sliced Cheddar
(Taken from Sedap Magazine)
150 gr Butter
200 gr Dark Chocolate
125 gr sugar
30 gr AP flour
15 gr cocoa powder
50 gr almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp almond extract
15 gr sliced almonds (to be sprinkled)
1. Heat butter till melted. Add chocolate and stir till both are melted and well combined.
2. In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar till they get slightly thick. Add the egg-sugar mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
3. Sift AP flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds and baking powder into the chocolate-egg mixture. Add the almond extract and mix till just combined.
4. Pour half of the batter into a pregreased and prelined (with overhang to lift the brownies easily later)8×8 baking tin. Arrange cheese slices over the batter, the pour the remanining batter over the cheese.
5. Bake at 180 degree Celcius (not F) for 25 minutes or till they are well cooked
6. Slice into squares to serve.