Books Magazine

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

By Pamelascott

San Francisco, 1976. A naive young secretary, fresh out of Cleveland, tumbles headlong into a brave new world of laundromat Lotharios, pot-growing landladies, cut throat debutantes, and Jockey Shorts dance contests. The saga that ensues is manic, romantic, tawdry, touching, and outrageous - unmistakably the handiwork of Armistead Maupin.

***

[MARY ANN SINGLETON was twenty-five years old when she saw San Francisco for the first time]

***

(Transworld Digital, 13 March 2012 (first published 1978), ebook, borrowed from my library)

***

***

I'd heard good things about Maupin's tales of the city books so I've wanted to read them for a while.

I wish I hadn't bothered. There are better and more entertaining books to help pass the time.

I am baffled by the glowing reviews on Good Reads. They must have read a different version of the book than I did.

Tales of the City did nothing for me. Absolutely nothing. Sorry. It's been a while since I found a book so tedious.

Very little happens in this so-called book. The chapters are short, 3 or 4 pages. 97% of the chapters consist of dull dialogue between various characters and the other 3% is some description shoe-horned in at the end.

The book is set in San Francisco. We are told this by the author. However, no effort is put into creating a sense of place or bringing the city to life. It could have been set anywhere. The characters never become more than black and white sketches.

Tales of the City bored me. I won't bother reading any more books in the series.

Tales City Armistead Maupin

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

Magazines