NOTE: I spend my Wednesdays Unplugged from appointments. It's my day to stay home, enjoy cooking and welcome our kids and grandkids for dinner in the evening. We end our meal with quotes from the Norwegian 'Quote Cup' passed on to me from my grandmother. I share a quote and a recipe here each week, and sometimes some photos of family fun. I love trying new recipes...and love getting recipes you would like to share!
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is. " ~ Will Rogers
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
This week's recipe was from a couple weeks ago when I was craving beets. The recipe was from a Better Homes & Gardens Holiday magazine. I don't measure the cheese and walnuts... tend to use more than the recipe calls for.
BEET SALAD with GOAT CHEESE and WALNUTS
- 5 ounce package mixed baby salad greens
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (see my recipe below)
- 8 ounce package pre-cooked beets, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (chevre)
- 1/4 cup broken walnuts, toasted
Place salad greens in a salad bowl. Drizzle with some of the dressing; toss gently to coat and set aside.
Combine cut up beets, basil and pepper in bowl. Drizzle on some of the dressing, toss gently to coat.
To serve top greens with beet mixture, sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Pass remaining dressing.
BEST BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 3 tablespoons Bariani balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- Full squeeze honey
Combine all ingredients in shaker container and refrigerate.
Sharlene Hensrud, RE/MAX Results - Email - HomesMSP.com
- Wednesdays Unplugged - Greens, Apples & Cashews
- Wednesdays Unplugged - Roasted Beet Salad with Blue Cheese
- Wednesdays Unplugged - Pesto Pea & Spinach Salad
- Wednesdays Unplugged - Raspberry Romaine Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing Wednesdays Unplugged - Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesdays Unplugged - Pear Salad with Best Balsamic Dressing