My father-in-law brought back soya chunks* from his home of Jamaica a couple of years ago, and I remember staring at the package trying to figure out how to cook the things. I’ve come along way since then and recently after I bought a bag of Imitation Chicken Chunks, I found this recipe on VegWeb and adapted it a bit. It came out so well, that I thought I would post it in honor of Meatless Monday. This takes a while to prepare, but the results are definitely worth it. And the best part? All of the ingredients cost me less than $15!
Vegetarian Caribbean Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1/2 cup chicken flavored soy protein chunks
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium-large onion
- 4 cloves garlic,chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium white potato
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme (you can also use dried, but you’ll need to use a lot more to taste it)
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Jamaican curry powder (If you only have regular curry powder, that’s fine)
- 1 can coconut milk (try using a light version to save on calories)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
Soak protein chunks in a bowl with enough water to cover it for at least 20 minutes but no more than 45. Drain well.Coarsely chop all vegetables.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Original recipe submitted by Kimberly Clovis firstname.lastname@example.org to vegweb.com
*Soy chunks are made from texturized vegetable protein, and can me made to taste like a variety of meats.
- How do you make your veggie curry?