In honour of our Care Package contest coming to an end here’s a little recipe for some food parcels to eat yourselves. These packets aren’t chock full of Haribo and Marmite but it’s a pretty simple vegetarian option that doesn’t come with a dose of sugar shame.
1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
2 sticks celery, thickly sliced
6 salad onions, thickly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1tsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dash of Tabasco sauce
8 small sheets Cypressa Fresh or Frozen Filo Pastry
1 medium egg white, lightly beaten
50g blue Shropshire cheese, crumbled
1tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
Pack it up:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6, and lightly oil a baking sheet. Cook the vegetables in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured and just beginning to soften.
2. Add the herbs and season well with salt, pepper and a dash of Tabasco sauce.
3. Brush one sheet of pastry with a little egg white. Lay a second sheet at right angles over the first and brush with egg white. Continue layering the sheets in this way until you have used four sheets.
4. Place half the vegetables in the centre of the pastry square and top with half the cheese. Gather up the sides of the pastry to form a ‘parcel’, press tightly together with your fingers to seal, then place on the baking sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with half the sesame seeds, if using. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make the second parcel.
5. Place the parcels on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.