Vegan Butternut Squash Chili
Makes 10 servings. 207 Calories, 2.9g Fat (1.1g Saturated), 355.8mg Sodium, 39.3g Carbs, 10.4g Fiber, 4.8g Sugar, 9.7g Protein
- 1 3lb butternut squash
- 3 carrots
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetarian broth
- 2 (10oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 15oz cans black beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp regular paprika
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Chopped green onions, to serve
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to serve (non-vegan option)
- Adapted from The Kitchn
- Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Peel the carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the butternut squash, carrots, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and corn.
- Stir in all the spices (chili powder through cayenne).
- Bring back to a simmer then reduce the heat and cook for at least 1 hour, or until the squash and carrots are tender. The longer it simmers, the better the flavors will be!
- Serve hot with chopped green onions and 1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese per bowl (optional!)