Summer is the time of year when most families find themselves on-the-go and in a never-ending flurry of activities. Offering a variety of healthy snacks can be daunting even for the most healthy conscious parent and is sometimes placed on the back burner because we just run out of ideas. Idealy children should snack every 3-4 hours. Below are some healthy snack ideas that can help you plan delicious, healthy and nourishing snack foods for your children and their friends! But…shhhh!…don’t mention the “healthy” part.
1. Provide organic fruits such as grapes, orange slices, cherries and strawberries washed, sliced and ready-to-eat in a cool-looking bowl in the fridge. Kids will love the convenience and will be refreshed by cold fruit on those hot summer afternoons. If you are traveling, place ice packs in a cooler and put the sliced fruits in baggies.
2. Make popsicles out of freshly juiced fruits or organic, no sugar added fruit juice. Add some banana or strawberry slices to the mixture. Peach, Mango and Strawberry-Orange popsicles will earn you the parent-of-the-year award!
3. Put together (in advance) pre-portioned bags of snacks such as healthy granola (no sugar!), snack bars, etc. so that they are ready to grab for a healthy snack on-the-go.
4. Keep a bowl of pre-cut veggies such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, squash, etc. in the fridge. Make up several fresh healthy dips in which to dip the veggies.
5. Make your own “healthy” trail mix and pre-portion it into snack bags.
6. Peel and halve bananas, put wooden sticks into the end and freeze. Banana Pops are delicioius and provide potassium.
7. Using a Vita Mix or one of the high speed blenders one can make a very healthy ice-cream using frozen fruit, stevia/xylitol/honey, organic cream/milk/almond milk/hempseed milk and vanilla.
8. Keep a jug of our healthy Summer Thirst Quenchers in the fridge.
9. Apple Sandwiches with Granola and Nut Butter (Almond butter is best!) Your children will LOVE making these fun and tasty treats.
10. Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies make a great cookie-break snack- gluten free and delicious!
11. On especially hot afternoons, treat your children to a Fresh Strawberry Milkshake made with almond milk!
12. Baked Sweet Potato Chips. Easy to make and your children will love them. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes no more than 1/8″ thick. Place on a baking sheet and brush lightly with unrefined coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add some Himalayan Crystal Salt. Serve with homemade salsa or dip.
Snacks for children don’t have to be laden with chemicals, high-fructose corn syrup or refined sugar. Include your children in the planning and preparation. They will enjoy the time spent with Mom or Dad and you will be teaching them the importance of healthy eating habits even when they need a quick snack.