The numbers were generally good all night long. We had perfect scores in every round but IQ Trivia. As the Red Sox were erasing a six-run deficit and were winning in their final at-bat, we had two teams tie with 39 points for the win after the final round. So we had to break the tie, and I took the ages of three celebrities we did in a category last month, and the team of Donald, We Hardly Knew Ye guessed correctly within 3 years of the answer, and wound up in the winners circle. Congrats to Emily and her friends.
Second place went to The Debt Ceiling, The Debt Ceiling, The Debt Ceiling Is On Fire and third place went to Something Something John Quinn..The Best Team Name, who finished just one point out of first.
Next week Trivia Night will take place on a Thursday night, May 26th, and at a special time of 8 PM. I will not be in the bar on Tuesday, and the Bruins will most likely have playoff games on Monday and Wednesday. So I hope to see many of you on that night.
Best Team Name: The Debt Ceiling, The Debt Ceiling, The Debt Ceiling Is On Fire
1. What British comedian and actor recently revealed he is writing his memoirs for one reason only: to help fund his multi-million dollar divorce settlement from his third wife?
2. Queen Elizabeth II became the second-longest reigning monarch in British history, passing King George III. Who is the only monarch who served longer than her?
3. What onetime Saturday Night Live comedian will receive the 14th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor from the Kennedy Center later this year?
4. What company purchased internet videophone service provider Skype for $8.5 billion last week?
5. What 33-year-old TV and movie actor was recently picked to replace Charlie Sheen on "Two and a Half Men?"
6. What media company trademarked the name "Seal Team Six" two days after special forces killed Bin Laden?
7. What New York Yankees player took himself out of a game with the Red Sox on Saturday before it started after his ego was hurt when he was supposed to bat ninth in the lineup?
1. What 1975 film won five Oscars, including Best Picture, Actor, Actress and Director?
2. Over 900 people committed suicide together in November 1978 in what South American country?
3. In 1975, what tennis star asked for political asylum in NYC while playing in the US Open?
4. What year in the 1970s did Elvis Presley die in?
5. What former governor served as Gerald Ford's vice-president, from 1974-1977?
6. The 1976 Summer Olympics were held in what North American city?
7. George Harrison organized two concerts at Madison Square Garden in NYC in 1971 to benefit the people of what Asian country?
Name The Century Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Fletcher Christian leads the mutiny on the Bounty.
2. Thomas Jefferson sends Lewis and Clark to explore the West.
3. The Boston Red Sox win the first World Series.
4. The Euro, the currency of the majority of EU countries, is established.
5. Vermont becomes the first state admitted to the Union after the Original Thirteen.
6. The US Census announces that the American Frontier had officially "closed."
7. Facebook is founded in Cambridge, MA.
8. Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the telephone.
9. Theodore Roosevelt wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
10. Dennis Tito, a multi-millionaire, becomes the first "space tourist," funding his own trip into space.
1. What NBA Hall of Famer was nicknamed "Dr. J?" ( 1 pt)
2. Port-au-Prince is what Caribbean nation's capital? ( 1 pt)
3. What sign of the Zodiac is the Archer? ( 1 pt)
4. What film did Robert DeNiro win an Oscar for Best Actor? ( 2 pt)
5. The song "Memory" comes from what Broadway musical? ( 2 pt)
6. What European nation won soccer's World Cup in 2010? ( 2 pt)
7. What is a baby raccoon called? ( 3 pt)
1. "The Faces" was the name of a group of five friends from what classic 1978 film? ( 4 points)
2. A dodecagon has how many sides? ( 4 points)
3. From what Shakespeare play is the character Shylock? ( 3 points)
4. Xylophobia is a fear of what outdoor objects? ( 5 points)
5. What 1970s TV sitcom actress won an Oscar in 1960 for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of a prostitute? ( 4 points)
1. John Cleese; 2. Queen Victoria; 3. Will Ferrell; 4. Microsoft; 5. Ashton Kutcher; 6. Disney; 7. Jorge Posada.
1. "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest;" 2. Guyana; 3. Martina Navratilova; 4. 1977; 5. Nelson Rockefeller; 6. Montreal; 7. Bangladesh.
Name The Century Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. 18 (1789); 2. 19 (1803); 3. 20 (1903); 4. 20 (1999); 5. 18 (1791); 6. 19 (1890); 7. 21 (2004); 8. 19 (1876); 9. 20 (1906); 10. 21 (2001).
1. Julius Erving; 2. Haiti; 3. Sagittarius; 4. "Raging Bull;" 5. "Cats;" 6. Spain; 7. cub (I also accepted "kit").
1. "Saturday Night Fever;" 2. twelve; 3. "The Merchant of Venice;" 4. trees; 5. Shirley Jones.
These articles might interest you :
We had 17 teams in on the day after the holiday weekend concluded, but we still a large number of regulars in. Always nice to see that. Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
SELF EXPRESSION, SPORTS
Another big crowd came out to Professor thom's on Tuesday, with many in for the All-Star Game (one of the only cheers went up for Adrian Gonzalez' home run).... Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
It was a night when just four teams in for Trivia Night at Josie Wood's, and it included Larry, who was on the defending champions last week, my brother-in-law... Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
This Wednesday night, Trivia Night returns to Josie Wood's pub, and the two Special Categories will be "Presidential Trivia" and "Who's Older Trivia. Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
We had 20 teams in on Tuesday night for Trivia, and it was another lively night. I thought the first four categories were a bit on the easier side, and the... Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
This is my 3500th post in the history of my blog, and the first time a Trivia post was a milestone one. We had 20 teams on a hot and rainy night in New York, an... Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
We had six teams in for Trivia Night at Josie Wood's, and I was pleasantly surprised to see my old friend Billy's wife Danielle and her friend Linda in. Read moreBy Theomnipotentq
MOST POPULAR FROM SPORTS
- Questionable decisions by Precious Sanders
- Quote of the day by Precious Sanders
- The Penguin in the Park 5K, Spring Break and a CRAZY Urinal! by Maryjo
- Paradise Lost by Santo