Soccer Magazine

Tranmere Rovers 0 Walsall 0 - Match Report

Posted on the 21 November 2012 by Bescot Banter @BescotBanter
Following Tuesday's game with Tranmere Rovers, sport writer and Total Tranmere podcaster Paul Harper shares his Match Report;

Walsall grabbed themselves a well-deserved point from their visit to top-of-the-table Tranmere Rovers with a 0-0 draw at Prenton Park.

On a cold and blustery evening, conditions weren’t ideal but the visitors acquitted themselves well and could count themselves a tad unfortunate not to have gone away with all three points having spurned the best of the game’s chances.
The first chance of the game fell to Tranmere on 9 minutes. A cross from the left by Adam McGurk was met by the head of Ash Taylor whose effort flew over the crossbar.
The Saddlers should have taken the lead on 17 minutes. A lapse in concentration saw Rovers goalkeeper Owain fon Williams play the ball out straight to Will Grigg. The striker raced through one-on-one with the Welshman but his finish was a poor one and the ball went wide of the target.
Midway through the first half, Aaron McCarey saw his first action of the game as he made an excellent save to deny Cole Stockton. The young Tranmere striker turned his marker before unleashing a powerful drive which McCarey tipped around the post.
Grigg caused the Tranmere defence all sorts of problems as the first half drew to a close. Twice he broke through down the left only to fire efforts from narrow angles across the face of the goal and wide. Jamie Paterson fired just wide from 25 yards just before the break but the two sides went in level at half time. HT: Tranmere Rovers 0 Walsall 0
Walsall began the second half as they had ended the first. Fabian Brandy almost finished off a quick counter attack as play went from one end to the other within seconds. The striker received the ball on the left edge of the penalty area but his curling shot was tipped around the post by fon Williams.
The same player was asking the referee for a penalty on the hour-mark. His goalbound effort deflected wide off Ben Gibson with Brandy claiming the defender has used his hand. The referee rejected the claims and gave a corner kick.
Rovers began to pile on a bit of pressure as the game wore on, but McCarey remained largely untroubled. Zoumana Bakayogo couldn’t control his header from a fierce Jake Cassidy cross before Andy Robinson poked the ball wide from a Paul Black cross and so the game finished goalless. FT: Tranmere Rovers 0 Walsall 0 ATT: 4,717 REF: J, Simpson Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, McGurk (Kirby 78), Harrison, Palmer (Power 86), Robinson, Cassidy, Stockton (Black 64).  Unused substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Eccleston.
Walsall: McCarey, Taundry, Holden, Featherstone, Grigg (Adam Chambers 89), Paterson, Hemmings (Baxendale 78), Brandy (Bowerman 78), Downing, Taylor, Mantom.  Unused substitutes: Jones, Grof, Benning, James Chambers. By: Paul Harper

You Might Also Like :

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

These articles might interest you :