Thursday's Relegation RundownBy Thetoaststaff
It is definitely becoming crunch time for the bottom dwellers of the Premier League. Five games left for most teams and every point is important for these five squads. Wigan is the big winner of the weekend as they move from bottom of the table last week to 17th and out of the drop zone thanks to a 3-1 victory over Blackpool.
20. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 32 pts- After a solid February and March, Wolves have started April very poorly. Wolves were off this weekend because their scheduled opponent was involved in the FA Cup. So they will look to come back rested against Fulham over the weekend. Fulham has been trucking along just above the relegation fray and are coming off a 2-0 loss at Old Trafford. Fulham will be looking to pick up all 3 of course but this is a game that Wolves need to focus on getting at least a point if not all 3 to give them a chance. Luckily for them, they have played one less game than their rivals so have an extra game to possibly pick up points.
19. West Ham United, 32 pts- West Ham suffered a gut wrenching 2-1 loss at the hands of Aston Villa over the weekend. The Hammers started things off with a goal from Robbie Keane in the 2nd. Then Darren Bent equalized in the 36th for Villa. It looked as if West Ham would at least secure a point until Gabby Agbonlahor hammered home a header in stoppage time to give Villa the victory. Next up for the Hammers is a trip to Stamford Bridge to face a surging Chelsea. Then they can look forward to a trip Manchester to face the FA Cup finalists. If you are a West Ham fan all you can do is pray the other teams around the Hammers fall as well.
18. Blackpool, 33 pts- Blackpool continues their downward spiral with a deflating 3-1 home defeat to Wigan. This is a game Blackpool needed bad as Wigan were bottom of the table and the Tangerines were at home. Next up for Blackpool is a home game against Newcastle. This will definitely be a tough game but at this point all hands need to be on deck to right this sinking ship.
17. Wigan Athletic, 34 pts- Wigan do exactly what I said was possible in last week’s rundown. They got a decisive victory over Blackpool and moved all the way from 20th to 17th. Next up for the Latics will be a trip the Stadium of Light to face Sunderland who has accumulated a grand total of 1 point since the end of January. This is a game where Wigan needs to take advantage of a struggling side and get 3 points.
16. Blackburn Rovers, 35 pts- Blackburn continued their poor form over the weekend with a 2-0 loss at surging Everton. Leon Osman scored in the 54th and Leighton Baines finished off Blackburn with a converted penalty in the 75th. Blackburn welcomes Manchester City to Ewood Park this weekend. Blackburn will hope that City will still be on the high of beating United in the FA Cup Semi over the weekend. I would not be surprised if City came in to this game overlooking Blackburn and end up dropping points.
These articles might interest you :
Crime Fiction5*s The genealogical expert Jefferson Tayte is back! I love this series which has taken me back to historical eras I know little about while tellin... Read more8 hours, 6 minutes ago by Cleopatralovesbooks
(Photograph by Abhay Tiwari) Please, talk to me about who you were before the walls were painted blue; Tell me the bruises, the aches, and time just added... Read more9 hours, 13 minutes ago by Shantam Sahai
DIARIES, SELF EXPRESSION
9 hours, 29 minutes ago by Vickilane
I’ve moaned about it enough, so you’ll all know by know that despite having graduated last summer I’m still studying. I’ve chosen a career path which pretty muc... Read more10 hours, 28 minutes ago by Ninegrandstudent
FASHION, FOOD & DRINK, LIFESTYLE
I love Chicago. I have family there that I'm normally always looking for a way to be with. And I have friends that I don't see nearly enough. So when I first... Read more11 hours, 43 minutes ago by Eastofmidnight
Whenever I have stale bread I want to make one of two things . . . either I want to make a bread pudding, or I want to make French Toast. Today the French... Read more12 hours, 29 minutes ago by Mariealicerayner
FOOD & DRINK, RECIPES
(Image Credit) Like most things in life, exercise can be a dangerous game. It’s very easy to injure yourself while you’re exercising; if you fail to take the... Read more16 hours, 25 minutes ago by Peppertan
MOST POPULAR FROM SOCCER
- ‘Game plan, you’re assuming David Moyes has one?’: Sixer to Bournemouth fansite by Colin Randall
- Wrinkly Pete’s Crystal Ball: Middlesbrough suddenly make the screen look clearer by Colin Randall
- Linen Storage Ideas to Help You Stay Organized by Simplyfutb01
MOST RECOMMENDED IN SOCCER
- Around the Alliance - part eighteen by Smidrophenia
- The Middlesbrough ‘Who are You?’: on Juninho, Laura Laverne and two doomed clubs by Colin Randall
- Beautiful Vintage Mid Century Modern Bedroom Design Ideas by Simplyfutb01
- Sixer’s Sevens: Middlesbrough 1-0 SAFC. Even Benno lost for words by Colin Randall