A little about Lake Como, courtesy of Wikipedia...
"Lake Como has been a popular retreat for aristocrats and wealthy people since Roman times, and a very popular tourist attraction with many artistic and cultural gems. It has many villas and palaces (such as Villa Olmo, Villa Serbelloni and Villa Carlotta). Currently, many celebrities have or had homes on the shores of Lake Como, such as Matthew Bellamy, Madonna, George Clooney, Gianni Versace, Ronaldinho, Sylvester Stallone, Richard Branson, and Ben Spies. Lake Como is widely regarded as being one of the most beautiful lakes in Italy."
click on any image for a larger view
just a humble lake house...
Pictures don't do the grand villas justice
A view of the mountain tops from the ferry we took to tour the lake.
...just the local swimming hole. I steered clear of the water because in 2007 the bacteria levels in the water were deemed too high for safe swimming.
Here's that list again of all my posts from our travels that I've posted -
•Introduction to my European backpacking trip and a list of places we visited
• Galicia - Baiona and Isle de Cies
• Galicia - the coast, some charming vineyards, and Pontevedra
• Santiago de Compostela and gorgeous hidden beaches
• Gorgeous mountain lakes of Picos de Europa
• Stunning mountains - Picos de Europa
• Bilbao and San Sebastian
• Beautiful Barcelona
• The amazing Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona
• Art Nouveau dream house by Gaudi in Barcelona
• Not to miss - the gorgeous rocky coast of Italy's Cinque Terre
• More from my summer traveling Europe - amazing Rome
• From my summer in Europe - amazing Pompeii
• Turquoise ocean and vineyards on cliffs - the amazingly stunning Amalfi coast
• My Summer in Europe: Pictures from lovely Florence, Italy
• Enchanting Siena
Thanks as always to my boyfriend Chris, who took these amazing photos.
These articles might interest you :
Painting: Soriano nel Cimino, Year 2011, Medium: Acrylic, CommissionedWe visited Soriano nel Cimino twice and stayed at friends house. Soriano is in Lazio, abou... Read moreBy Tdominici
We found the most amazing ski area – so wonderfully unique I feel a little guilty even blogging about it. Nestled east of Wanaka above the shockingly blue,... Read moreBy Leonoras
DESTINATIONS, TRAVEL, VACATION
Caving at Horne Lake Caves sounded like the perfect addition for our Canadian honeymoon adventure, which also included kayaking with killer whales, scuba diving... Read moreBy Expatgermany
DESTINATIONS, EXPAT, TRAVEL
“A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority, from his not having seen what it is expected a man should see” ~ Samueal Johnson ~... Read moreBy Singcolinquisitor
This week's edition into the series "Where You Should Be!" is a bit broader than our previous editions and features one of my favorite countries in the world:... Read moreBy Livingthedreamrtw
image credit Ganvié, in the Republic of Benin, is the largest collection of lake dwellings in Africa. Around 20,000 people call Ganvié's stilt supported... Read moreBy Gerard
CULTURE, DESTINATIONS, TRAVEL
Florence is a must-see if you're going to Italy. It's just so beautiful. I went there for a day in the winter after I graduated college, and wished I had had... Read moreBy Decorology
MOST POPULAR FROM DESTINATIONS
- Cactus. Cactus, Everywhere by Alternativeeden
- JMap 7 – More Powerful, Robust and Interoperable by T_mackinnon
- Migrant’s rights are Workers rights are Human rights by Monkeyboygoes
- #London Nightly #Photoblog 20:02:17: #BobbyMoore at #Wembley by Lwblog
MOST RECOMMENDED IN DESTINATIONS
- Rejuvenating the Body at Polarity Prehabilitation by Wanderingjoshua
- I Never Thought I’d Say This: I’m Afraid to Travel by Kenin Bassart
- This weekend: 17th, 18th & 19th February by Nessascityblog
- Snapshots: Reflections of Summer in Sardinia by Jenniferavventura