Business Magazine

Take Your Twitter Experience to the Next Level

By 2centsricher

Take Your Twitter Experience to the Next Level

A few weeks ago I wrote a post to help you increase your Twitter followers. Today I want to talk about Twitter following again but from a different perspective. Bottom line, what I am saying is: The level of engagement with your followers is the most important aspect of Twitter. Let’s put this out there for once. Yes, it is cool to have a lot of followers. Yes, it gives you some “social validation” points. Yes, you should try to get as many followers as you can. Yes, it is like high school all over again.

Number of followers is just one part of the package.

There are a couple measurement tools of influence like Klout or Twitalyzer that are gaining momentum in the attempt to determine the “Who is Who” in the Twitter universe (in this universe Charlie Sheen is more influential than Barack Obama, so you will have to bear with me here). These indicators use the number of followers a user has as only one of many factors when calculating the overall combined score. There are other metrics like amplification, true reach, and network. But I digress. The point is that the number of followers ain’t everything.

What’s the point?

It really makes me sick when I see Twitter accounts that have x or y number of followers but have ZERO tweets. What’s the point of that? There’s no interaction. There is no chance to engage at any level.

Let’s get back to the basics.

Twitter is intended to be a communication tool among users. Let me say that again, AMONG users. It was created so people would have an online tool to talk to other people. It is as easy as that. Twitter has clearly grown and its uses and business applications keep developing every day. But, in essence, Twitter is meant to help people chat with each other. I don’t know about you but I would very much prefer to have 20 or 50 or 100 highly engaged followers than 1,000 or 2,000 followers who don’t really care about me or what I have to say. I think that is what social media is all about. Social media gives you the opportunity to stop talking at the masses and start talking with the person.

Take your Twitter experience to the next level.

Since I joined Twitter a little over a year ago I have met great people that I probably would not have had the chance to meet any other way. Opportunities have opened up to me thanks to this great tool. However, all of these great benefits have come to me because I have taken my online experience to next level. Here are some suggestions for you to do the same:

  • Take as much time as you can to engage with others online: Close to 56% of my total tweets have been @replies to other users. They are conversations at its purest level. Adding to that, 15% of my total Tweets have been ReTweets from other users. This means that 71% of my total Twitter activity has been interacting with others users. People are not talking to you? Ask questions! There is no better way to get the conversation started.
  • Make an online introduction, an offline interaction: How many of your followers have you actually met? If your geographical limitations allow it, make an effort to meet other users face-to-face. This will give your relations and connections a whole new depth and meaning.
  • Become involved: I am sure that there are other people in your area that are involved in social media. Reach out to them, connect with them. Attend a Tweetup. No tweetups in your area? Organize one! You will be surprised by the number of people you will meet that will enrich your online experience.

So, while having tons of followers is nice, it is not until you really engage with thise followers that you will be reaping the real, awesome benefits from Twitter.

Are there any other ways that you can think of that will help others bringing their Twitter experience to the next level?


You Might Also Like :

Back to Featured Articles on Logo Paperblog

These articles might interest you :