I am a born and bread southern California girlliving in EnglandDoing postgraduate work with my husband for a year.
Specifically, I am getting my MSc in :::deep breath:::cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging::and exhale:::
My husband is getting his LLM (Masters)in human rights law.
And with our powers combined.we will take over the world.
Or get a lot of puppies.just kidding.Kind of.
Deciding to pack up our lives and move to another country was not the easiest decision.Especially for a homebody like myself.It took a year of researching,applying,filling out paperwork,financial decision making,and eventually,we landed in England.
And then i realized I had to WALK from our house to the University(a 20 minute walk)and I cried.
I know what you're thinking....
Why didn't i just pack up my stuff and head back to California?Well friends, let me tell you.I am not a quitter.and my husband would not letting me get on a plane back home..whatever.
However, after being 6 months into our journey abroad,and must admit,It is the best decision we have ever made.And I highly recommend anyone and everyone make time to spend a year in another country.
I get to study with people from all over the world.And I get to do my research under some of the most brilliant minds.
So this post doesnt get too long, I have compiled a list of the things I have learnedand the differences I have found studying and researching in another country.
1. public transportation is not my friend.
2. I am not emotionally stable enough to handle 4 months of cold, dark, weather.3. British students are much smarter then me4. Education is dirt cheap, even for an international student. (an incentive for my husband and I to study abroad)5. cost of living can be even cheaper depending on where you live (we have a three bedroom house for the cost of a box on the side of the road in so-cal)
6. Food in the states is the best. hands down.7. Our dollar is weak.8. Flowers are much prettier here.9. I appreciate the sun so much more10. I have officially learned how to use my legs.11. I now know how to use EEG,MEG, and fMRI machines.
12. Blogging saved my life13. Skype is essential14. travel,travel,travel. Inter-European travel is CHEAP. take advantage
15. Learn to accept and appreciate cultural differences.16. Cider is good.
17. The University Campus is glorious.
You can not beat European Architecture.
18. choose a university that is internationally renowned and recognized
19. You do not need more then one winter coat.
20. learn to layer
work hard, study hard, but don't forget to LIVE.
and immerse yourself in the culture.
If you want to learn more about our life here, my research, or the daily randoms come visit me across the pond. :)
These articles might interest you :
Veroniek Gielkens is featured in a very special Spring Summer 2017 Haute Couture story for the May Issue of Harper's BAZAAR en Espanol Photographed by Benjamin... Read more7 hours, 22 minutes ago by Benjaminkanarek
CULTURE, FASHION, LIFESTYLE
If you’re a parent or someone who feels a calling to help children, it’s essential to foster a love of learning in the children in your life. Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Peppertan
A tendency has arisen and seems to be increasing these days among some Christians, Catholics included, in the United States to regard human persons as evil in... Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Apostolate Of The Divine Heart
Juillard Opera mounts Kat'a Kabanova. by Paul J. Pelkonen Bad romance: Boris (Gerard Schneider, left) woos the heroine (Felicia Moore) in Juilliard's... Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Superconductor
CULTURE, THEATRE & OPERA
City of Deer Park (TX) is accepting apps for PARAMEDIC Until: Continuous recruitment. Salary $23.00 hourly. For details about thousands of other fire... Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Firecareers
This week marks National Stationery Week and I thought I would honour the week with something I have truly been loving - my Bullet Journal. I have always loved... Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Mummyb
The Town of Buxton (ME) is accepting apps for FIREFIGHTER / PARAMEDIC Until: May 5, 2017. For details about thousands of other fire departments looking to... Read moreThe 26 April 2017 by Firecareers
MOST POPULAR FROM CAREER
- Speech Prosody Examples - Words, Sentence Stress, Rhythm and Intonation by Lifecoachbloggers
- Tips To Get The Best Out Of Your Diesel Truck by Infinity Trailers
- 5 Public Speaking Opportunities To Make Your Company by Martin Zwilling
MOST RECOMMENDED IN CAREER
- 4 Chasms And 5 Customer Types That Kill Entrepreneurs by Martin Zwilling
- Smart Entrepreneurs Favor People-Centric Leadership by Martin Zwilling
- 6 Cases Where Quick-To-Market Beats Market Research by Martin Zwilling
- Could You Be A Business Coach, Or Do You Need One? by Martin Zwilling