I am a born and bread southern California girlliving in EnglandDoing postgraduate work with my husband for a year.
Specifically, I am getting my MSc in :::deep breath:::cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging::and exhale:::
My husband is getting his LLM (Masters)in human rights law.
And with our powers combined.we will take over the world.
Or get a lot of puppies.just kidding.Kind of.
Deciding to pack up our lives and move to another country was not the easiest decision.Especially for a homebody like myself.It took a year of researching,applying,filling out paperwork,financial decision making,and eventually,we landed in England.
And then i realized I had to WALK from our house to the University(a 20 minute walk)and I cried.
I know what you're thinking....
Why didn't i just pack up my stuff and head back to California?Well friends, let me tell you.I am not a quitter.and my husband would not letting me get on a plane back home..whatever.
However, after being 6 months into our journey abroad,and must admit,It is the best decision we have ever made.And I highly recommend anyone and everyone make time to spend a year in another country.
I get to study with people from all over the world.And I get to do my research under some of the most brilliant minds.
So this post doesnt get too long, I have compiled a list of the things I have learnedand the differences I have found studying and researching in another country.
1. public transportation is not my friend.
2. I am not emotionally stable enough to handle 4 months of cold, dark, weather.3. British students are much smarter then me4. Education is dirt cheap, even for an international student. (an incentive for my husband and I to study abroad)5. cost of living can be even cheaper depending on where you live (we have a three bedroom house for the cost of a box on the side of the road in so-cal)
6. Food in the states is the best. hands down.7. Our dollar is weak.8. Flowers are much prettier here.9. I appreciate the sun so much more10. I have officially learned how to use my legs.11. I now know how to use EEG,MEG, and fMRI machines.
12. Blogging saved my life13. Skype is essential14. travel,travel,travel. Inter-European travel is CHEAP. take advantage
15. Learn to accept and appreciate cultural differences.16. Cider is good.
17. The University Campus is glorious.
You can not beat European Architecture.
18. choose a university that is internationally renowned and recognized
19. You do not need more then one winter coat.
20. learn to layer
work hard, study hard, but don't forget to LIVE.
and immerse yourself in the culture.
If you want to learn more about our life here, my research, or the daily randoms come visit me across the pond. :)
These articles might interest you :
This is a guest post by Mariana Ashley.Career fairs provide excellent networking opportunities for young and experienced professionals. Read moreBy Candacemoody
This is a guest post by hiring manager Tim Eyre.You put a lot of thought into your resume. What serious job applicant wouldn’t? Read moreBy Candacemoody
If you’re in a job search, you need all the support you can get. Family, friends, your network of former coworkers – they’re all helpful when they can be. Read moreBy Candacemoody
Over the weekend I celebrated my friend’s bachelorette party with a fantastic group of girls. We had great dinners, drank way too many girly cocktails and dance... Read moreBy Ncrimaldi
Have you ever visited to a park and watched kids playing in the playground? They seem so free and so happy. Often if you look at the adults, they are happy... Read moreBy Gjosefsberg
LIFE COACH, LIFESTYLE
This is a guest post written by Kathryn Henry, a writer for TeachStreet. TeachStreet is a website that provides online and local classes, including cooking... Read moreBy Gjosefsberg
FOOD & DRINK, RECIPES
American explorer and anthropologist Julian Monroe Fisher is preparing for his next big expedition, one that will see him cross the African continent on foot,... Read moreBy Kungfujedi
MOST POPULAR FROM CAREER
- VLCC DNA Slim – A scientific weight loss program based on your DNA! by Amreen Shaikh
- IIFW: An alluring evening of unlimited Glamour and Style @ India’s First Intimate Fashion Week! by Amreen Shaikh
- Real Life Examples of Multitasking in Everyday Life by Lifecoachbloggers
- 7 Ways to Use Data and Analytics for Strategic Change by Martin Zwilling