Representing Humanity BlogathonPosted on the 13 May 2012 by Diana
Sam from Duke & The Movies recently started a very cool blogathon, and the big question we need to answer is:
Extraterrestrial forces land on Earth. Unknowing of our planet and society, you can pick five films from the history of cinema that represent humanity. What titles would you choose and why?
It's very hard to choose, but I would probably try to show the world as an extremely diverse, creative, yet complicated place to be in, also showing realistic movies, as they need to know what is Planet Earth! I will try to make it chronologically, because I think it might help them to better understand Earth and its inhabitants.
1. A historical movie showcasing Ancient times, just so they can see the early stages of the planet and how it all started- it could be Ben-Hur, The Ten commandments, The Gladiator, Troy...you name it! I will choose The Ten Commandments, although I haven't seen it, so I may be wrong, but I think is what I am looking for to show them!
2. A period drama- for their costumes, the story, their manners and the conservative, yet passionate natures of people in those days. My pick: Pride&Prejudice (2005?)
3. A movie from or about the 20s-30s. Since we also need a musical to make them happy after all the previous dramas, I will go with Chicago
4. A movie about life, its trial and tribulations and with a normal, rather realistic scrip. I can't think of anything better than Paris, Je t'aime: multiple stories, great actors, amazing directors, and with believable storylines.
5. The final one would be an action packed, entertaining type of movie that is currently topping the box office. This was pretty hard to decide, since there are big choices like Harry Potter, James Bond, The Dark knight, Lord of the Rings and so on, but I will stick with the current king of the world, as it has a great mix of drama, action, love, comedy and superheroes: Avengers
Not the most original choices, but I think these will help give a basic image of the world they are stuck in! Hope you like it and thank you Sam for the great idea!
These articles might interest you :
LeakyCon hit Orlando last week - a convention celebrating fandom and Harry Potter. I was very lucky to cover the event for my Harry Potter blog attending... Read moreThe 08 August 2014 by Girlmeetscinema
Medical school dropout Wallace has given up on love and pretty much been a recluse for the past year. His college roommate Allan convinces him to come to a part... Read moreThe 05 August 2014 by Caz
Lionsgate has released the Teaser Poster to announce the release of Alexandre Aja's HORNS, which stars Daniel Radcliffe, Juno Temple and Max Minghella. (Release... Read moreThe 30 July 2014 by Themoviewaffler
San Diego Comic Con might be one of the biggest conventions in the world for comic book readers, superhero fans, and big Hollywood series like The Avengers and... Read moreThe 29 July 2014 by Girlmeetscinema
Director: Darren Aronofsky Writer: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel (Screenplay) Starring: Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, Emma... Read moreThe 28 July 2014 by Newguy
CULTURE, ENTERTAINMENT, MOVIES
A poll on IMDB inspired me. What a great topic. The given choices were:The Dark Knight Rises, The Return Of The King, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt... Read moreThe 23 July 2014 by Sirmac2
For the past couple of years, it’s been a game of, “So, you’re telling me there’s a chance!” as far as a Dumb & Dumber sequel... Read moreThe 11 June 2014 by Weminoredinfilm.com
ENTERTAINMENT, MOVIES, TV & VIDEO
MOST POPULAR FROM ENTERTAINMENT
- Phish 2014 Summer tour SBD + torrents: Commerce City 2014/8//31 by Hctf
- The Wizard of Oz to hit 3D IMAX September 12th! by Themoviewaffler
- New Release Review - A Most Wanted Man by Themoviewaffler
- Cold War Capers by Sjhoneywell
Barack Obama European Union Russia China Mali North Korea Apps Michelle Rodriguez Climate Change Egypt Rick Perry World Cup 2014 Christmas X-Factor Thanksgiving Father's Day Mitt Romney Lady Gaga Rupert Murdoch Halloween The Box Office Lance Armstrong True Blood Turkey Apple Economy Harry Potter Samsung Kony Mardi Gras