Public Wants Rights For Same-Sex CouplesPosted on the 18 December 2012 by Jobsanger
But a new poll shows that the change in thinking may actually be much deeper than originally thought. According to a new Gallup Poll (conducted between November 26th and 29th of a random national sample of 1,015 adults), even larger percentages believe that gay and lesbian couples should have the same rights as heterosexual married couples (whether you call their same-sex union a marriage, a civil union, or something else). And most surprisingly of all, this view cuts across political lines. Consider the following numbers (with the percentages shown being those in favor of equal rights for same-sex couples):
DO YOU THINK THERE SHOULD BE INHERITANCE RIGHTS FOR GAY AND LESBIAN DOMESTIC PARTNERS OR SPOUSES?
DO YOU THINK THERE SHOULD BE HEALTH INSURANCE AND OTHER EMPLOYEE BENEFITS FOR GAY AND LESBIAN DOMESTIC PARTNERS AND SPOUSES?
DO YOU THINK THERE SHOULD BE ADOPTION RIGHTS FOR GAYS AND LESBIANS SO THEY CAN ADOPT CHILDREN?
Those are some pretty incredible numbers, well outside the margin of error of the poll (4 points). The only group showing less than a majority in any of the three areas was Republicans on the question about adoption rights -- and even there nearly half approved of it (46%).
It is becoming more obvious every day, that on the question of rights for same-sex couples, the Republican Party is out-of-step with the opinions of more and more Americans -- including many members of their own party. The American people want same-sex couples to have the same (equal) rights as heterosexual couples enjoy.
These articles might interest you :
Texas government is dominated by teabagger/fundamentalist Republicans, and for years now we have been fighting to keep religion out of the science classes in ou... Read moreThe 29 January 2014 by Jobsanger
The chart above was made with information from a recent Rasmussen Poll (conducted on August 15th and 16th of a nationwide sample of 1,000 likely voters -- with ... Read moreThe 20 August 2013 by Jobsanger
The congressional Republicans have made it very clear that they are willing to sacrifice the environment to protect giant corporations (especially the huge... Read moreThe 05 June 2014 by Jobsanger
By Susan Duclos I am a link freak, I admit it.. I see a link and I am clicking it before I even think about it. In doing so, I just ran across a well thought ou... Read moreThe 08 January 2013 by Susanduclos
ECONOMICS, POLITICS, SOCIETY
Once again the Republican Party finds itself at odds with the desires of the general public in this country. It's almost like the GOP is trying to oppose... Read moreThe 26 November 2013 by Jobsanger
We are just a couple of days away from the anniversary of the horrible massacre of twenty children and six adults in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown... Read moreThe 12 December 2013 by Jobsanger
(Illustration above is from the blog Not Buying Anything.) There is no doubt that the distribution of wealth in the United States has gotten out of whack. Read moreThe 19 April 2013 by Jobsanger
MOST POPULAR FROM POLITICS
- VA doesn’t have ‘legal authority’ to require executives to return $400K they received in job transfer scam by Eowyn
- The Debate Over Term Limits in Bolivia is About More Than President Morales by Center For International Private Enterprise
- Russia Bans Eating Turkey by Mendeleyeev
- Black Friday sales 10% less than last year by Eowyn
MOST RECOMMENDED IN POLITICS
- Bank Crimes Pay: Under the Thumb of the Global Financial Mafiocracy by Andrewgavinmarshall
- Thanksgiving: Not just a holiday, but a command by Eowyn
- Poland is third EU country to say no to “refugees” by Eowyn
- Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3 October 1789 by Ingrafted
ON THE POLITICS FORUM
- I Admire Bernie For His Honesty ... Reviewed by Monica Leschen
- Vanuatu Daily News Digest | 10 ... Reviewed by Mr
- 7th All-Pakistan Secretary Generals’ Conference 2015 Reviewed by Christal Skillen
- April fools day in Russia Reviewed by Bertha Kiernan