One of the oldest accessory, yet the most stylish bridge between us and time, watches are an eternal trend. And every year a true watch lover looks forward to new launches at the BaselWorld. In this write up I thought of showcasing few picks from Baselworld 2011. And all the guys who hated me all this while for posting everything for women might just smile and forgive me for I know how watches are a man’s favorite accessory.
1. TAG Heuer Carrera MikrographThe first ever column wheel integrated mechanical chronograph was introduced this year. After Calibre 360 Chronograph, this is TAG Heuer’s re-invention of their typical best chronographic sense.
Since, its limited edition, only 50 pieces will be made available. (It’s my favorite and that’s why placed on top)
TAG Heuer Heuer Carrera Mikrograph2. URWERK UR-202SThe company that is known for producing leather strap watches presented a rather intricate piece where the hours are indicated on 3 rotating blocks. Each block has a telescopic minute pointer that moves across three minute segments (0-14; 15-44; 45-60). A moon phase and day/night indicator complete this contemporary tableau. Visible at the back of the UR-202S are two turbines coupled with the rotor that regulate the watch's winding system.
3. Omega Hour Vision Skeleton PlatinumAnother open work timepiece, Hour Vision Skeleton Platinum was rolled out at Baselworld 2011 by timepiece giant Omega. It features Omega Calibre 8403, a 39 jewel self-winding movement, that winds in both directions and free-sprung balance which runs at 25,200 vph. The most appealing feature of this piece is the sapphire dial.
It’s limited to 88 pieces.
Omega Hour Vision Skeleton Platinum4. Louis Vuitton Voyagez Tambour Automatic Chronograph
Though, LV is known for the luxury travel gear and trunks, their watches are equally luxurious. The new Voyagez Tambour Automatic Chronograph watch comes with a tachymeter. It comes with a carbon fiber strap and flaunts the LV172 automatic chronograph movement.
Louis Vuitton Voyagez Tambour Automatic Chronograph
5. Chanel J12 ChromaticIt’s not vague that I have been raving about this one. Beautifully carved to perfection, the chromatic color of this one will surely entice you. Its titanium ceramic finish renders it enough resistance without compromising on the light weight. Chanel surely knows what makes a woman happy and that is diamonds and it has all that sparkles.
Chanel J12 Chromatic6. Harry Winston Project Z6 Black Edition
Harry Winston introduced the Project Z6 Black Edition Alarm watch. The Project Z6 Black Edition Alarm watch has a manually wound 45-jewel Swiss made mechanical movement with hours, minutes and seconds functions (small seconds), as well as an alarm function with a day/night indicator. The hand finished HW-1010 movement is visible through a sapphire case back. Its limited to 300 pieces.
Harry Winston Project Z6 Black Edition
7. Longines Column-Wheel Chronograph RecordThe brand that our sexy Bachchan diva endorses introduced yet another beautiful piece that features a Swiss automatic in-house movement.The caliber L688.2 has 27 jewels, runs at 28,800 vph and has a power reserve of 54 hours. The watch as a whole gives a vintage look with the dial available in either cream or black color.
Longines Column-Wheel Chronograph Record8. Movado Bold CollectionI love the twinkle that Movado classic watches strike. Talking about this year, they have created an all new collection of timepieces, ‘Bold’.The collection is made for both men and women. The straps are coated leather and the designs are bold. Pretty affordable these watches can be purchased online.
Movado Bold Collection
9. Cartier Astroregulator
The great watchmaker Carttier is, it introduced a watch that combats the negative effects of gravity. The technology uses a rotor on which are placed the escapement, pendular seconds and the oscillator. All together they maintain the center of gravity in a single position, ensuring that the platform of the Astroregulator movement avoids the effect of gravity on timekeeping in all vertical positions.This is a limited series of 50 individually numbered timepieces.
10. Rolex Explorer IIRolex got little orangey this year with the new orange-handed Explorer II. This watch has added features over its predecessor. The diameter is two mm larger and this watch has a totally new in-house Rolex movement, the caliber 3187, which features Paraflex shock absorbers and a blue Parachrom hairspring.
11. Tudor Advisor Alarm Watch
Getting reminded of a meeting by the Tudor’s new advisor alarm watch only sounds a cool idea. This watch gives a useful complication which surpasses the regular chronograph. It also has a power reserve indicator.
Tudor Advisor Alarm Watch12. Valbray V.01 Collection:A new brand, Valbray launched two versions of the limited edition V.01 watch in the ‘convertible watches’ category. Totally revolutionary, the V.01 has an interesting dial that has a camera-like shutter. The shutter opens completely to expose the chronograph functions on the lower dial. On the contrary the upper dial is bare and only shows the time.It’s neat yet technically sound.Price: Rs. 648,215.99 – Rs. 1,201,900.48 approx
Valbray V.01 Collection:
13. Piaget Emperador Coussin Tourbillon Automatic Ultra-Thin
Do you like skinny and thin? Then check this out. Piaget, which is known for ultra-thin watches, rolled out another one to lure us all. It unveiled the world's thinnest self-winding tourbillon wristwatch at SIHH 2011. The Emperador, as they call it has a attractive skeleton laser-engraved sapphire glass dial and a monoblack micro-rotor that sits on the front of the watch unlike most other watches.
Piaget Emperador Coussin Tourbillon Automatic Ultra-Thin
14. Ralph Lauren Sporting Chronograph Black CeramicInspired by the new vintage Bugatti, Ralph Lauren Sporting Chronograph in matte black ceramic, is simply so sexy. Its available in 39 mm and 45mm sizes. With the former you get a simple black and white dial whereas with the former you get a black and white dial with red central chronograph seconds hand. Let’s not get in the Cartier technicalities as when they play with the chronographs, it is undoubtedly good.
Water-resistance is 50 meters.
Price: Rs. 247,500.00 onwards
Source: Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren Sporting Chronograph Black Ceramic15. Richard Mille RM 035
Tennis lovers should take note of this for the iconic Rafael Nadal wears this watch for all his matches. The tonneau shaped case is made of a ultra-light magnesium-aluminum alloy and is responsible for the light weight. It has a manual winding skeleton caliber RMUL1, 24 jewels, beats at 28,800 vph (4Hz), has a free sprung variable inertia balance, and a 55-hour power reserve.
Price: Rs. 3,825,000.00
Richard Mille RM 035Source: Professionalwatches.com, Ralph Lauren website and my hunger to keep a track of the new hot stuff on the racks.