At the outset of his term, the Democratic Party controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. While their main goal was fixing the economy (and rightfully so), repealing the Defense Of Marriage Act which is unconstitutional would have taken no time at all. In a speech given on June 29th of last year Obama stated that the law was unconstitutional and that his "administration is no longer defending DOMA in the courts." However, the administration was still enforcing DOMA and is still doing so to this day.
One may be able to make the argument that he changed as last year the administration made an announcement where it was told that the administration would push "governments it assists to offer greater protection to sexual minorities" by steering "financial incentives toward countries and programs that protect rights while expanding efforts to protect LGBT refugees." While this is without a doubt a great step for Obama and the LGBT community, it only highlights the double standard Obama has. He is willing to acknowledge that the community is under threat on an international level but ignores the fact that the community is under attack at home.
In addition to this, in 2008 Obama clearly stated that he believed that marriage was between a man and a woman and that he was "'not in favor of gay marriage.'" So far he has been consistent with those beliefs as he has not proposed a law to Congress that would allow gay marriage, thus it is still up to states to decide if they want gay marriage or not. Yet, there have been a large number of brave states who have passed legislation allowing for gay marriage.
To his credit however, Obama did, via executive order, pass law that guaranteed hospital visitation rights for the partners of gay patients and introduced protections for gay and transgender people against housing discrimination. Yet overall the situation of the LGBT community remains dismal.
These articles might interest you :
A couple of Texas' more famous (or infamous) personalities recently spoke out about the LGBT community and same-sex marriage. They are Willie Nelson and Rick... Read moreThe 29 March 2013 by Jobsanger
Astrology can be a hugely complicated subject, so just for once I am just going to concentrate today solely on the position of the planets with the President, a... Read moreThe 13 January 2012 by Solarisastro
BODY, MIND, SPIRIT, POLITICS, SPIRITUALITY
President Obama at the UAW Conference Febraury 28, 2012. Photo credit: Lawrence Jackson, official White House photo US President Barack Obama is among the... Read moreThe 05 March 2012 by Periscope
10/18/2011 – by Cynthia Wright Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera was awarded the 2011 Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders in Geneva on October 13th. The... Read moreThe 18 October 2011 by Cynisright
09/08/2011 – by Cynthia Wright The Center for American Progress posted an article today discussing the lack of coverage black LGBT students receive from the... Read moreThe 08 September 2011 by Cynisright
08/17/2011 Actress Carlease Burke, currently known as portraying eccentric lesbian on Showtime’s Shamelessrecently sat down with the Advocate to talk about her... Read moreThe 18 August 2011 by Cynisright
09/01/2011 – by Cynthia Wright After a long hiatus, Vibe Vixen is back and ready for the digital age. This time, all issues will be delivered online – which is... Read moreThe 01 September 2011 by Cynisright
MOST POPULAR FROM POLITICS
- Fighting Kleptocracy by Center For International Private Enterprise
- Keeping the Economy on the Radar, Even in the Hardest Times by Center For International Private Enterprise
- 40% of young Americans support government censorship of free speech by Eowyn
- Problem Solved? – Say What? by Andrew Furst
MOST RECOMMENDED IN POLITICS
- Why Paris Reveals the Horror – and the Hypocrisies – of Global Terrorism by Andrewgavinmarshall
- The hounding of Sandy Hook skeptics: Halbig threatened; Amazon.com removes NOBODY DIED AT SANDY HOOK by Eowyn
- Shocking video shows Europe’s “refugee crisis” is a Muslim invasion by Eowyn
- Video of missile (?) hitting Pentagon on 9/11 by Eowyn
ON THE POLITICS FORUM
- I Admire Bernie For His Honesty ... Reviewed by Monica Leschen
- Vanuatu Daily News Digest | 10 ... Reviewed by Mr
- 7th All-Pakistan Secretary Generals’ Conference 2015 Reviewed by Christal Skillen
- April fools day in Russia Reviewed by Bertha Kiernan