1. Using a 12" x 9" piece of watercolor paper, wet the paper and paint the background bright yellow. Let dry. Using watercolor pencils (I like Prismacolor), draw the cat eyes, nose and mouth as shown with a black pencil.
2. With the same pencil, fill in the area around the eyes with short dark strokes to make a head. Add ears, and an oval-shaped body below. A tail may be added to one side.
3. Heart-shaped flowers are drawn around the cat as desired.
4. Use a small wet paint brush to go over the pencil, which will turn the color into paint. Make short strokes in an outward direction to make the fuzzy edges of the cat. Black legs may be added to the bottom. When dry, trace over the mouth lines with a white pencil, and add whiskers.
These articles might interest you :
If you want to encourage kids to draw tall shapes, it helps to have paper cut to match. I turned standard 18" x 24" watercolor paper into 18" x 6" panels for... Read moreBy Kathybarbro
When young students are just learning how to paint, large size paper really helps allow for more freedom of movement.1. Starting with approx. Read moreBy Kathybarbro
I’ve never been a big fan of tempera paints, they often seemed a bit dull to me. But if you team them up with a fat black marker, it makes for a bolder image, n... Read moreBy Kathybarbro
One of my favorite art books, The Usborne Book of Art Skills by Fiona Watt, has some really amazing watercolor projects, including this one using Saran Wrap. 1. Read moreBy Kathybarbro
Defne got very excited with the idea of spaghetti painting. Spaghetti painting is a sensory activity as well as one that fosters creativity.I cooked some... Read moreBy Smilinglikesunshine
FAMILY, PARENTING, SCHOOLING
Today our group was back with some of our favorite kids we've met so far, those at Nadine's Orphanage in Port-au-Prince. The amazing woman who runs this home fo... Read moreBy Kathybarbro
I think I found the coolest kindergarten ever! The cat-shaped kindergarten is located in Baden-Wuerttemberg and designed by Tomi Ungerer. The cat reminds me of... Read moreBy Europeanchic1
ARCHITECTURE, CULTURE, FAMILY, HOME, SCHOOLING
MOST POPULAR FROM FAMILY
- 30 Kerala Banana Recipes for Kids by Hemapriya Natesan
- Letting God Strengthen You Today by Richard Crooks
- Today's Free Books (Canada) by Catherine Mcdiarmid-Watt
- Walking the Toy Aisle by Ashley Brooke, Kewpie83
MOST RECOMMENDED IN FAMILY
- Straight Parents vs. Gay Parents: A Relationship Comparison Study by Designerdaddy
- The Six Best Valentines Gifts by Sandwichedboomers
- Guest Post - Turtle Tots Southampton Journey by Maxwell1212
- 4 Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids to Spread the Love by Sangeetha