List Maniac: Dropped SeriesPosted on the 23 September 2012 by Darthclavie
Well, since I haven't done one of these in a while, I decided to resurrect the lists. And this time is about the series that at some point liked but that eventually stopped following, I think we all have series like that, when they just start to stretch the taffy a bit too much and the series loses the spark. These are some of the series I've dropped.
5. Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Canolita. When this series started, I really liked it. I liked the idea of Kaitlin Burke, soap opera star, trying to live a normal life and having a nice boyfriend and whatever. It sounded adorable- and it kind of was, for one book. Then book 2 came around and it was basically the same as book 2, and then so was book 3. Kaitlin always bemoans her fame but freaks out whenever it might go away and her family is way crappy, the only care that she stays famous because she's their meal ticket. There are three more books but I just didn't care to read them.
4. The Luxe by Anna Godbersen I started out loving The Luxe, the first book was just SO good. I loved Diana - she was my favorite character - and it just had the makings of something really awesome. But I was midway through the second book when I heard how the series ended... and well, it didn't end up in a way I liked so I decided not to invest the time on it and just drop it there.
3. Maiden Lane Series by Elizabeth Hoyt I generally love Ms. Hoyt's books but this series just isn't clicking for me. The first book was a challenge to finish, the second one I never got around reading and the third - Scandalous Desires - finally convinced me that this series isn't for me because I just don't care about this set of characters of what happens to them. Also, the setting - St. Giles - isn't really appealing to me. So I'm waiting patiently for a new series by this author because I do love her writing.
2. Heist Society by Ally Carter I actually DNFed the second book, Uncommon Criminals, midway through. I like the secondary characters - like Hale and Gaby and Kat's extended family - but I hate Kat. She annoys me, and I just don't get why everyone fawns all over her all the time when she's always acting like she's ashamed of the family business just to later use them and their connections to her advantage. And she's often really mean to Hale who adores her.
1. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard This is the classic case of over-stretching the taffy. This series should have ended in book 4, but then it was expanded to 8 books, which I still read and it kind of still made sense, but then I found out that there would be even more books - I think it's currently up to 11 or something - and it was just more of the same. It's like they are creating troubles out of thin air to keep the series going.
What about you? Do you have any series that eventually had to abandon?