James Joyce: the Cats of CopenhagenBy Winterthorn
If you have €300-€1200 that is.
Like his first children's book, The Cat and the Devil, The Cats of Copenhagen was written in a letter to James Joyce's grandson Stephen while Joyce was living in Denmark and his grandson in Paris. Unlike The Cat and the Devil, which originally appeared in Joyce's collected letters, The Cats of Copenhagen has not been previously published in any form. This new edition was made possible, according to the publisher Ithys Press, when James Joyce's works entered the public domain in Europe on January 1, 2012. That position has sparked some controversy, however, as the owner of the letter, the Zurich James Joyce Foundation, claims that it has yet to be determined if unpublished works are also in the public domain.
The Ithys Press edition is to be published in limited edition of 200 copies: 26 lettered, 170 numbered, and 4 Hors Commerce.
Here's hoping a popular edition will be published soon.
All images are copyrighted © and owned by their respective holders.
These articles might interest you :
MY VERY FIRST WE TOO WERE CHILDREN, MR. BARRIE POST was on James Joyce's letter-to-his-grandson-turned-picture-book The Cat and the Devil. Read moreThe 16 September 2010 by Winterthorn
James Joyce’s “The Dead” Adapted by Richard Nelson and Shaun Davey Directed by Charles Newell at Court Theatre, 5535 S. Ellis (map) thru Dec 9 | tickets: $45-$6... Read moreThe 24 November 2012 by Chicagotheaterbeat
CULTURE, THEATRE & OPERA
A jar of honey which has not been emptiedLast night, I woke up in the middle of a dream about a multi-storey tower block constructed from the horizontal pages o... Read moreThe 28 December 2012 by Thejohnfleming
Regular readers might remember my original plans to offer regular updates on my trek through Joyce's final and most abstruse work, Finnegans Wake. Read moreThe 24 August 2012 by Jake Cole
I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church; and I will try to express myself in some mode o... Read moreThe 09 March 2011 by Cilaw
Our Project of the Week is Costa Rica Primates, Big Cats and Turtle Conservation so we thought we’d take a look at this beautiful country and bring you all the... Read moreThe 29 March 2012 by Frontiergap
Our time in Penang ended very early in the morning. We woke up to the alarm at 3:30 AM to prepare ourselves for our flight to Kuching at 7:10 AM. Kuching is... Read moreThe 14 September 2011 by Theplaceswevebeen
FOOD & DRINK, TRAVEL
MOST POPULAR FROM BOOKS
- Share-fest on Birthdays, Dr. Seuss and Podcasts by Anovelsource
- Short Stories Challenge – The Five Orange Pips by Arthur Conan Doyle from the collection The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes by Bibliobeth
- Downton Abbey Season 5 Finale (The UK Christmas Special) by Jennyallworthy
- Moving to the city is the first step to getting filthy rich in rising Asia by Pechorin
Barack Obama Egypt Turkey True Blood Apps Climate Change Nuclear Energy Michelle Rodriguez Thanksgiving Christmas DSK Lady Gaga China John Galliano Winter Sports Apple Economy The Box Office Mardi Gras Rick Perry Russia Harry Potter Samsung Mitt Romney Halloween Academy Awards European Union Valentine's Day The Olympics North Korea
MOST RECOMMENDED IN BOOKS
- Phobia by Daniel Lance Wright - Spotlight + Review + Author Interview by Gpangel
- Crime and Science Radio: Small Town Cop; Big Time Police Chief: An Interview with Chief Scott Silverii by Dplylemd
- SOUL SECRETS: A Spiritual Guidebook for Contacting Your “TEAM” – Spirit Guides, Angels, and Departed Loved Ones/ A Review and Interview by Beccachopra
- Toilet Paper to the Rescue by Dplylemd