Step 1: This is the third workup of the line drawing hence the 2 pieces of paper taped together, nothing fancy here. So I waited for a nice bright day taped her to the window and transferred her to my watercolor paper. The hard part is over. I think that probably my most challenging aspect of this project was the fact that I knew this lady and wanted to do her justice.
Stage 2: Lets add color. So in this stage I masked out some key highlights, like the glints of lights from the underskirt and earring, and eyes. The other highlights, like the one on her shoulder I could work around because of the size. I don't like making fluid and try and avoid using it whenever possible. So working with just 3 colors, quin gold, perm red and cobalt blue I layed in the basic patterns of her skin. I will be going back and adding more layers as more of the painting is completed but this gives me a bases in which to judge all other values.
Stage 3: Add some darks. I needed to add some darks to give a some sense as to where I was going. Even with just this tiny part of the painting somewhat completed it really made her come alive.
Stage 4: Building layers. Did you notice the oops that was made when adding her skin earlier? I had to drop her tummy back down under the floating scarf because you would see a hint of her tummy through the scarf. This piece is all about layers and really made me stop and think about the process. Her skin and underskirt would show through the sheer scarf in some places and the background would come through in others.
Stage 6: Folds and fabrics. This piece offered many challenges, the main one was the fabric and the sheer scarf. I needed to find a way to delineate the underskirt from the scarf, add texture and tie in the background. Not a small task. For the scarf and dress colors I used a mix of cobalt blue, cobalt turquoise lt. (this color is slightly granulating and was the perfect choice for just a hint of texture in the scarf), and a touch of paynes gray as I knew I would be using it in the background and needed that color to show through the scarf.
Stage 7: Adding the background. Using a wet into wet technique I applied
the first background layer using paynes grey, alizarin crimson and cobalt blue.
Stage 8: Final touches and done. Now it is all about adding detail and making sure your values and tones are accurate.
These articles might interest you :
!Wink’s page on facebook and Stormy’s Hat Page on facebook Ugly Shyla http://www.uglyart.net Winkelhimer Smith The Painting Squirrel 0.000000 0. Read moreThe 06 March 2013 by Uglyshyla
ART & DESIGN, CULTURE
Photo Post DVF in her office in the 70s(Source: backofhouse) Read moreThe 07 February 2013 by Briennewalsh
PHOTOGRAPHY, SELF EXPRESSION
I’m very happy to present an interview with Robin Leigh Morgan!~ Steve When did you first discover the desire to write was so strong in you? Read moreThe 13 March 2013 by Imagineer
The 01 March 2013 by Comicscritic
COMIC BOOKS, ENTERTAINMENT
cross posted from ianyan Environmental activists hold signs outside the St. Leon Cathedral in Burbank, Calif/ L. Aghajanian Arthur Pogosyan, a Los Angeles-area... Read moreThe 16 December 2012 by Earth First! Newswire
Yes, you correctly read the title of this post. Jonylah Watkins, 6-months-old, died early Tuesday morning after being shot 5 times the afternoon before. Read moreThe 13 March 2013 by Real Talk
CURRENT, DEBATE, POLITICS, SOCIETY
Forgotten something, Mr Cameron? photo: University Hospitals Birmingham The background Prime Minister David Cameron left his eight-year-old daughter behind in... Read moreThe 11 June 2012 by Periscope
MOST POPULAR FROM ART & DESIGN
- Ralph Lauren Femme Polo Drapeau Find an agent who operates over the internet as this will make the process easier for both of you Look for discounts and information on their parent websites Take advantage of the benefits and discounts which you can fin... by Mushir
- michael kors bag-Buy they think that wearing the wrap will be the answer 1z by Mushir
- Titleist 913 D3 Driver For Sale and start browsing for hot pants that looks good on you. Yes by Mushir
- Titleist 913F Fairway Wood For Sale however expensive air ticket fares will bring disappointment. A vacation would really be hard when your budget is not enough. The fact is not everybody had the chance to experience air travel due to very expensive t... by Mushir
MOST RECOMMENDED IN ART & DESIGN
- New London Mural from Chilean native Cekis by Hookedblog
- The final Transportation Design Presentation: some tips. by Luciano
- Shepard Fairey new mural in Málaga, Spain by Hookedblog
- Ralph Lauren Femme Polo Big Pony cheap picture quality on the other hand is fair by Mushir