I Was A Homely NewlywedBy Dianelaneyfitzpatrick
1. If I attended your wedding/graduation party/baby’s baptism between 1987 and 1996, please discard all photos of me and my dress. I’m blaming it on Delayed Chronic Postpartum Fashion Choice Hysteria and an experiment with shopping from the Chadwick’s of Boston catalog. I am wearing the most ridiculous get-ups, including the blue and white flowered dress that kept coming unbuttoned in front.
2. My husband and I both are not only better looking now but we have a lot more fun. The pictures of us when we were dating are lame. In the pictures of us within the past five years, we are laughing and smiling, we’re tan and healthier, and in the background there are other happy people, confetti, blenders and other signs of wellness.
3. How anyone could find a mate in the ‘80s is a mystery to me. Two words: Hair and glasses. My husband and I seem to have had a contest going as to who could have the biggest and dorkiest glasses. (It was a tie.) And unfortunately, the year he had me beat in the glasses, I was experimenting with a perm. At his college graduation and party following, I sincerely wish everyone had left their cameras at home or in their cars. Because of photo evidence of a short perm, I can’t pretend that I was hot when I was in my 20s.
4. I always had fat ankles. If you’ve seen me lately and, like me, thought that I could stand to lose a few pounds around each ankle, put it out of your mind. Looking at a picture of my husband and I dancing at our friend Tim Roberts’ wedding in 1985, I can see cankles under my off-white hose and I was only 26 and was only 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I’ve still got the perm from hell, and my husband and his glasses are smoking a cigar. We are dancing what appears to be either a polka or a square dance. I think I understand why no one said anything about my ankles.
5. I’d like to snarkily thank my sisters for putting my hair dryer in my big suitcase and not my overnight bag on my wedding day. (I can’t remember why I needed someone to pack for me . . . was that an old Irish tradition or something? All I know is I didn’t have access to my big suitcase until after I arrived in New York late the next day.) In all the photos of me from the morning after my wedding until we got to New York, my hair looks like shit. But, seriously, thanks for packing for me. That was a nice thing to do, even though you made mistakes.
6. My kids were the cutest babies and toddlers that you ever saw. Honestly, I was looking at these photos and practically crying, they are so cute. If you ever wonder why a woman would leave her career and embrace poverty and sweatsuits seven days a week, just take a look at my pictures from when my husband and I had little kids. God, they are so cute.
7. My mother told me once: “You married well.” At the time I didn’t think she meant “You married someone that you’ll always have fun with, and someone who will stay with you despite how you adopt fashion trends." But now, I wonder. She was a pretty smart lady.
These articles might interest you :
Nurse K had an interesting take on my blog post the other day about dealing with an over-crowded ED: it was a disaster, pure and simple:In short [she writes] if... Read moreBy Torontoemerg
DIARIES, HEALTH, MEDICINE, SELF EXPRESSION
Can entice you for a refreshing swim in this beautiful lake with a view of Mt. Kilamanjaro? Isn't it peaceful? Maybe not. Look again: There are 50 of these... Read moreBy Catswalks
DESTINATIONS, TRAVEL, VACATION
I predicted that the Mubarak regime would fall in a matter of weeks if not days. It looks like I was wrong. Defiant, President Mubarak refused to step down and... Read moreBy Igoudiaby
CURRENT, DEBATE, POLITICS, SOCIETY
Visiting the Penn Museum at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology had been on my "must do" list for quite a few years. Read moreBy Dianefergurson
BODY, MIND, SPIRIT, CULTURE, SELF EXPRESSION, SPIRITUALITY
so if i was afraid before about this competition, Im afraid now! after seeing the video about the last one, im terrified! got a load of work to do! Read moreBy Lauramoodley
One of the strangest buildings in the world is the Krzywy Domek an irregularly-shaped building in Sopot, Poland, that makes you feel as if you're passing throug... Read moreBy Thecleverpup
... but my hubby is!You may be thinking that I've completely lost my marbles but I'll explain...First, take a minute and humor me. Picture the coolest job in th... Read moreBy Saratpierce
DIARIES, SELF EXPRESSION
MOST POPULAR FROM HUMOR
- The Top 10 Largest Meteorites Found in the UK by Russell Deasley
- The Top 10 Largest Islands in the UK by Russell Deasley