- If your dog is bleeding heavily, purchase a dog diaper or pants. If your on a tight budget and don't have any money to buy some diaper, you can make use of a man's underwear on her. Put the underwear backwards and put the dog's tail out through the fly or cut a little hole, enough for her tail to fit. Then put a menstrual pad or pantyliner inside the underpants.
- If she refuses to wear underpants, put her in one room with a floor that is easy to clean. Use baby gate to close her on a room when she is bleeding the heaviest.
- Stay close to your dog whenever she is outside. Male dogs can smell a female dog in heat and will tend to have intercourse with her, even if they have to climb or dig under a fence.
- Take your dog outside more frequently during her menstrual period. This will allow her for more frequent urination.
- Take note of your dog's first menstrual day, in that way you can expect her next menstrual cycle and be ready for it.