There is something so comforting about chocolate pudding.
Whether it brings back memories of childhood, or more recent memories of eating super fancy chocolate “pot de creme” at a classic SF restaurant, chocolate in pudding/mousse form is one of those desserts I can’t say no to.
It’s creamy, luscious, decadent and rich.
You really can’t go wrong.
The husband likes chocolate pudding – and has a bit of nostalgia around Jello Pudding Cups. So when a friend of ours brought “raw chocolate pudding” to poker night and the husband found it “interesting, but too avocado-y” – I had to figure out a way to recreate it at home.
So yes, this recipe does have avocado in it.
I know what you’re thinking: avocado and chocolate don’t go together. But with the addition of a few other ingredients and the use of a blender, the avocado becomes the base for a super thick and creamy pudding that tastes great.
Oh and thanks to the avocado (instead of cream) – this recipe is vegan and gluten free. And thanks to the food processor/blender, it takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Three notes for this recipe:
- You must serve this super, super chilled – otherwise you will get a hint of avocado when you taste it
- You can adjust the amount of banana, honey/maple syrup and cocoa powder depending on how chocolatey and sweet you like it. Taste it after the first batch and add more if needed.
- This recipe was inspired by one from All Recipes and FitSugar. But I found the All Recipes one a bit too avocado-y/banana-y, and the Fit Sugar one is super high in calories and sugar. So here is my modified version which can actually be called a healthy, delicious dessert!
Healthy, Raw Chocolate Pudding
Makes 6 (huge) servings, per serving: 160 calories, 11.4g fat, 17.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 8g sugar, 2.6g protein
(Note, if you divide this up into 10 smaller servings, each serving will have only 100 calories!)
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 ripe banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw cocoa powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup or agave nectar (more to taste if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
The Directions: Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth! Serve chilled.