Ghost Signs (53): Harper PianosBy Carolineld
The Harper Piano Co of Holloway Road were active in the first half of the twentieth century, manufacturing a range of instruments including gramophones and 'synchronising pianos for cinema theatres'. The company later changed its name to the Harper Electric Piano Co, not because it was making an Edwardian electronic keyboard but because it made instruments which could only be played after putting a penny in the slot. In the year to November 1905 they sold 55 of these, mainly to cafes and restaurants.
Although the company is long gone from Holloway Road, the sign still stands out. It appears to have been overpainted at least once.
Image (left): 1922 British Industries Fair advert, via Grace's Guide wiki.
These articles might interest you :
Photograph of HM Queen Elizabeth II when Princess Elizabeth of York with Princess Margaret when Princess Margaret of York, with groom, c. 1933. Photo: Royal... Read moreThe 15 November 2013 by Mmeguillotine
BOOKS, CULTURE, HISTORY
Egypt is an Arabic country , Its official religion is Islam, located in the north-eastern part of the continent of Africa, and in the far south-west of the... Read moreThe 05 November 2013 by Egyking
Members of the Tuskegee Airmen were the first black pilots to serve in the American military. The name comes from the location of where they were trained, much... Read moreThe 13 November 2013 by Sfalcont
It's been such a long time I didn't write a proper post about a photographer I really enjoy, so as a Halloween gift, let me introduce you to the japanese... Read moreThe 31 October 2013 by Shugavery
The art dealer Paul Durand-Ruel was born in Paris in 1831. In 1865 he took over his father’s picture-dealing business, which specialised in the work of the... Read moreThe 07 November 2013 by Adventuresintheprinttrade
ART & DESIGN, CULTURE
MOST POPULAR FROM CULTURE
- Lo, the Savior Approaches (Part Six) — ‘Yerma,’ the ‘Girl from the Clouds,’ and the Flirtation with Hollywood by Josmar16
- GIRAFFE, with photos by Richard Hewett, Now Available at StarWalk Kids by Carolinearnoldtravel
- Minding our language: a skiing scholar saw words on a slippery slope by Colin Randall
- Review: Murder on the Bride's Side by Tracy Kiely by Girllostinabook
True Blood Christmas China Apps Lance Armstrong World Cup 2014 Egypt Michelle Rodriguez Halloween Climate Change European Union X-Factor The Papacy Samsung The Olympics Mali DSK Barack Obama North Korea Turkey Apple Russia The Box Office Rick Perry Nuclear Energy Lady Gaga Kony Economy Harry Potter Father's Day
ON THE CULTURE FORUM
- Lionel Richie squatted in a London ... Reviewed by Cheap Blues Jerseys Free Shipping
- Edible encoded messages: QR Code Chocolates ... Reviewed by Pilar
- THE MURALS OF MAXO VANKA, Millvale, ... Reviewed by Wholesale Cheap Saints Jerseys China
- The Hypochondria of Miloslav Mečíř Reviewed by Tiffany E Co Bracciali Argento Chain Naughty Heart Outlet Italian