Ghost Signs (53): Harper PianosBy Carolineld
The Harper Piano Co of Holloway Road were active in the first half of the twentieth century, manufacturing a range of instruments including gramophones and 'synchronising pianos for cinema theatres'. The company later changed its name to the Harper Electric Piano Co, not because it was making an Edwardian electronic keyboard but because it made instruments which could only be played after putting a penny in the slot. In the year to November 1905 they sold 55 of these, mainly to cafes and restaurants.
Although the company is long gone from Holloway Road, the sign still stands out. It appears to have been overpainted at least once.
Image (left): 1922 British Industries Fair advert, via Grace's Guide wiki.
These articles might interest you :
Photograph of HM Queen Elizabeth II when Princess Elizabeth of York with Princess Margaret when Princess Margaret of York, with groom, c. 1933. Photo: Royal... Read moreThe 15 November 2013 by Mmeguillotine
BOOKS, CULTURE, HISTORY
Egypt is an Arabic country , Its official religion is Islam, located in the north-eastern part of the continent of Africa, and in the far south-west of the... Read moreThe 05 November 2013 by Egyking
Members of the Tuskegee Airmen were the first black pilots to serve in the American military. The name comes from the location of where they were trained, much... Read moreThe 13 November 2013 by Sfalcont
It's been such a long time I didn't write a proper post about a photographer I really enjoy, so as a Halloween gift, let me introduce you to the japanese... Read moreThe 31 October 2013 by Shugavery
The art dealer Paul Durand-Ruel was born in Paris in 1831. In 1865 he took over his father’s picture-dealing business, which specialised in the work of the... Read moreThe 07 November 2013 by Adventuresintheprinttrade
ART & DESIGN, CULTURE
MOST POPULAR FROM CULTURE
- Jana&JS - Orticanoodles Print Releases by Invisiblemadevisible
- Christmas spirit by Juliaswriting101
- “What…? Wednesday” What Author Do You Read No Matter What? by Appraisingpages
- Qbic Hotel London City by Mariola Montosa by Thelayer
ON THE CULTURE FORUM
- Country Rust - Old Rusty Barn ... Reviewed by Dresses In The 1950s
- Skymusic Soars & Carman Moore is ... Reviewed by Wedding Dresses Nashville Tn
- Concert Review: The Composer on the ... Reviewed by Alita Graham Exclusively For Kleinfeld Wedding Dresses
- 154. US director Bob Rafelson’s “Five ... Reviewed by Modest Lace Dresses