The Harper Piano Co of Holloway Road were active in the first half of the twentieth century, manufacturing a range of instruments including gramophones and 'synchronising pianos for cinema theatres'. The company later changed its name to the Harper Electric Piano Co, not because it was making an Edwardian electronic keyboard but because it made instruments which could only be played after putting a penny in the slot. In the year to November 1905 they sold 55 of these, mainly to cafes and restaurants.
Although the company is long gone from Holloway Road, the sign still stands out. It appears to have been overpainted at least once.
Image (left): 1922 British Industries Fair advert, via Grace's Guide wiki.
These articles might interest you :
Ibiza Republic is a brand that encompasses the best from the Mediterranean and turns it into genuine and casual designs. This brand gets inspiration from Ibiza’... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Opticalh
Misty Copeland in an Under Armour commercial Misty Copeland made history on June 30th when she was promoted within the American Ballet Theatre, becoming the... Read moreThe 21 July 2015 by Juliez
SOCIETY, WOMEN'S ISSUES
Nick Revell – could this man ever become a UK politician?Comedian Nick Revell is working on his next hour-long show. We had tea together in Soho.“What is the ne... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Thejohnfleming
It’s hard enough trying to raise a child between two households. When you bring finances into the picture, things can really get messy. Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Peppertan
I think I have a thing for train station and fashion photography combined. Floral dress for summer is not so groundbreaking, but when you add your own little... Read moreThe 21 July 2015 by Shegotherown
The organizers of the DomainX 2015 domain conference will be held August 7-8 at the Taj West End in Bangalore, India told Thedomains.com that they have over... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Worldwide
MOST POPULAR FROM CULTURE
- Another Opening, Another Met Opera Show: Ringing in the New 2015-2016 Broadcast Year by Josmar16
- Death of producer Danny Greenstone by Thejohnfleming
- Umbrellas Last Stand by Ashleylister
- Sunday Surfing 30/8/15 by Lucybirdbooks
MOST RECOMMENDED IN CULTURE
- PBH Free Fringe act sacrificed on a road paved with good Edinburgh intentions by Thejohnfleming
- An award last night, awards tonight and a very offensive act at Edinburgh Fringe by Thejohnfleming
- Adventures in Television Presents- Television Fast Forward, The Best Shows that Never Were, & Unsold Television Pilots by Gpangel
- Stupid Criminals: Man Attempts to Gnaw Off His Fingerprints by Dplylemd