Gentle Robotic Tentacles Can Pick Up FlowersPosted on the 12 September 2012 by Gerard
Ask a typical robot to pick up a delicate object and it is likely to crush the thing between its clumsy metal mitts. That is why George Whitesides and colleagues at Harvard University have been developing a series of 'soft' robots with a lighter touch. Their latest creation is a robotic tentacle that can twist around a flower without damaging it.
The tentacle is made from flexible plastic containing three air channels that run along the entire limb. Pumping air into these channels causes the tentacle to bend, allowing it to curl around objects with a light grip.
MOST POPULAR FROM TECH
- Best Of WordPress Corporate Themes by Karan Chopra
- The Heirs Of Portable Gaming Experience by Karan Chopra
- Poster Boy For Frivolous UDRP Cases: Booked.xyz Guilty Of RDNH: TM Filed 16 Yrs After Domain Was Registered by Worldwide
- This Scary DIY Weapon Lets You Smash Zombie Heads from a Distance by Nrjperera
Michelle Rodriguez European Union North Korea Thanksgiving Harry Potter Apple True Blood Lady Gaga World Cup 2014 Samsung Rupert Murdoch Rick Perry John Galliano Mali Valentine's Day Economy The Box Office China Mitt Romney Apps Barack Obama Climate Change Halloween Turkey iPad Egypt Christmas Nuclear Energy Academy Awards Russia
MOST RECOMMENDED IN TECH
- Dogs Win: Godaddy Follows Our Advice & Pulls The #Godaddypuppy Super Bowl Ad by Worldwide
- Here Is the Godaddy Super Bowl Commercial; Not Risque But Downright Risky by Worldwide
- Godaddy Looks Like They Have A Disaster On Its Hands; People REALLY Hate It’s Super Bowl Ad by Worldwide
- The Best Free 2D Animation Software by Rohit Sharma