Estimating the Number of DGUsPosted on the 26 November 2012 by Mikeb302000
This is not a scientific study, just a suggestion or two about how one might be conducted. My figures may not be precise but they are, if not in the ballpark, at least on the right planet. If I had to wager whether the true DGU tally is closer to (a) 2.5 million, (b) 65,000 or (c) 500 to 1000, I’d bet the deed to the Ponderosa on the latter.
What's your opinion? Does it bring to mind my recent suggestion that there are about 500 a year? Many pro-gun folks thought I was kidding, saying it for effect. I wasn't.
The Professor uses the expression, "(assuming these incidents are all genuine non-duplicates)" when referencing some of the standard sources. I'm not quite that generous. I do not assume they are all genuine, as I've frequently pointed out. Here's the most recent false DGU, it's of the brandishing kind. And everyone remembers the recent event in Washington State where a lady drew down on a pervert in the park and threatened to kill him. Both of those were counted by the gun-rights crowd.
No, I'm afraid any list of so-called DGUs is chock full of criminal acts which were disguised as defensive and legitimate. That's how we can be sure the true number is as low as 500, give or take.
What do you think? Please leave a comment.
These articles might interest you :
Joggins Fossil Cliffs, Nova Scotia: Visitors listen to a guide from the Joggins Fossil Centre My friend and fellow children’s book writer Caroline Hatton... Read moreThe 09 November 2015 by Carolinearnoldtravel
The Bible records many truly devastating promises from the Lord Jesus Christ, Messiah, Creator, Judge. There are two which are particularly weighty on my heart. Read moreThe 07 November 2015 by Elizabethprata
With the holiday season just around the corner, it is time to start thinking about how to spoil all of the special people in your life. Read moreThe 08 November 2015 by Peppertan
I think that it is no secret that I enjoy researching the lives of artists' models. Unlike the artists they sit for, often models' lives have infinitely more... Read moreThe 08 November 2015 by Kirsty Stonell Walker
The huge surge in daily domain name registrations continued yesterday as over 460,000 domain names were registered across all Top Level Domains (excluding... Read moreThe 08 November 2015 by Worldwide
Some people just love Unicorns. These mythical creatures are like horses with wings and a horn. They fill people with their magic and mystery, and as far as I... Read moreThe 09 November 2015 by Russell Deasley
MOST POPULAR FROM DEBATE
- 40% of young Americans support government censorship of free speech by Eowyn
- Dinosaurs in the Bible - ARC of Covenant - Cataclysmic Moments in Earth's history by Freeplanet
- Shirlee and Dr. Mike on Mighty J-AIR! by Mikelumish
- King of Sweden calls for a ban on baths after realizing how much energy they use by Eowyn
MOST RECOMMENDED IN DEBATE
- The hounding of Sandy Hook skeptics: Halbig threatened; Amazon.com removes NOBODY DIED AT SANDY HOOK by Eowyn
- Shocking video shows Europe’s “refugee crisis” is a Muslim invasion by Eowyn
- Video of missile (?) hitting Pentagon on 9/11 by Eowyn
- Hertzan Chimera - Free Planet vs War World - how the dual/duelling trilogies might have looked by Freeplanet