Here is the original post:
On the Thames path at Bermondsey, a man sits on a bench waving at a small girl and a large cat. They may make an odd trio but they do tell a story, as a nearby board explains.
The man is Dr Alfred Salter, born in Greenwich in 1873. A doctor trained at Guy's Hospital, he first visited and then moved to Bermondsey and took practical action to address the poverty there. Not only did he provide consultations for sixpence (or even free), but he also set up a health insurance scheme and Sunday morning adult education classes. Through his efforts, the area had a local health service long before the establishment of the NHS. He also became a local Liberal councillor before moving to the Independent Labour Party.
Dr Salter married and had a daughter, who was educated locally. However, she died of scarlet fever aged only 8: this is the girl depicted in his daydream. After her death, his work for local people continued. He bought a house in Kent which was turned into a convalescent home for Bermondsey people, and in 1922 became MP for Bermondsey. The returning officer who declared him elected was the mayor - his wife Ada, a successful activist in her own right and the first woman mayor in London and first Labour mayor in Britain. He served as MP until 1945, when he stood down on health grounds. Dr Salter died later that year.
If you know anything about the statue's whereabouts, Southwark Council are offering a £1,000 reward.
These articles might interest you :
Ibiza Republic is a brand that encompasses the best from the Mediterranean and turns it into genuine and casual designs. This brand gets inspiration from Ibiza’... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Opticalh
Misty Copeland in an Under Armour commercial Misty Copeland made history on June 30th when she was promoted within the American Ballet Theatre, becoming the... Read moreThe 21 July 2015 by Juliez
SOCIETY, WOMEN'S ISSUES
Nick Revell – could this man ever become a UK politician?Comedian Nick Revell is working on his next hour-long show. We had tea together in Soho.“What is the ne... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Thejohnfleming
It’s hard enough trying to raise a child between two households. When you bring finances into the picture, things can really get messy. Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Peppertan
I think I have a thing for train station and fashion photography combined. Floral dress for summer is not so groundbreaking, but when you add your own little... Read moreThe 21 July 2015 by Shegotherown
The organizers of the DomainX 2015 domain conference will be held August 7-8 at the Taj West End in Bangalore, India told Thedomains.com that they have over... Read moreThe 22 July 2015 by Worldwide
MOST POPULAR FROM CULTURE
- ralph lauren national flag polo-Discount i went out to my mailbox today and found a delightful surprise 1o by Mushir
- Another Opening, Another Met Opera Show: Ringing in the New 2015-2016 Broadcast Year by Josmar16
- ralph lauren us polo-Discount if you have several people traveling throughout the year 0x by Mushir
- ralph lauren hoodies-Discount educate before you sell 1d by Mushir
MOST RECOMMENDED IN CULTURE
- PBH Free Fringe act sacrificed on a road paved with good Edinburgh intentions by Thejohnfleming
- An award last night, awards tonight and a very offensive act at Edinburgh Fringe by Thejohnfleming
- Adventures in Television Presents- Television Fast Forward, The Best Shows that Never Were, & Unsold Television Pilots by Gpangel
- Stupid Criminals: Man Attempts to Gnaw Off His Fingerprints by Dplylemd