While the average person tries to spend as minimal time in the grocery store, i am one of those weirdos who loves to walk through each aisle leisurely. I dawdle, i deliberate, and i drive my supermarket companion (whoever is unfortunate enough to be with me ) nuts at my unprogressive rate.
It was during one of these trips that i spotted this Pistachio instant pudding mix from Jell-o.
I grabbed one knowing exactly what i wanted it for.
A pistachio cream cheese frosting from my Cream Cheese Jelly Berry Pie. The original recipe was for filling a pie, but the texture was so thick and the taste so creamy that i decided that it would work as a frosting too.
But as an insurance, i did omit out the liquid (milk) in the recipe. I wanted this frosting to be really thick and full flavoured.
And since i was going fancy with the frosting, i didn’t one plain vanilla for the cupcakes. So i took an orange cupcake recipe but subbed the orange juice in it for cranberry juice.
Cranberry Cupcakes with Pistachio Cream Cheese anyone?
It didnt work out so well though, i couldn’t taste the cranberry flavours for one bit. I suggest on using cranberry extracts for this.
Having said that, the real star here is the frosting. Really, it could have been just be a piece of stale bread underneath and it will still taste delicious!
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Line your cupcake pans.
- Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Combine the milk with the cranberry juice.
- Pour one third flour mixture into the butter mixture, then half of the milk mixture. Repeat ending with the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon batter evenly among cupcake liners.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting
1 Can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 c cold milk
1 Package (3.4 ounces) Pistachio Instant pudding mix
- In a large bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, and pudding mix for 1 minute.
- Spread over cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle chopped pistaschio and dried cranberries over to prettify!